Red Baron - NE Ohio

Old 08-12-2014, 12:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is 100% correct
Old 08-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Registered

Hey guys, I went to see the boat today and she is indeed rough. The paint is seriously oxidized, so is all of the carpet and upholstery which is no surprise. The boat is incredibly original, the foredeck insert and the bubble vent are there but they are in really bad condition. The original single lifeline is intact. It has the original gauges, the Morse throttles, all of the original chrome, steps (some wood is missing), cleats, vents, fuel level indicators, and engines. I was wrong about the engines, they are 350 Chevy's and appear to be the original ones. There are no batteries and the 4bbl carbs have no air filters or spark arrestors. The port outdrive was blown at some point and is not installed on the boat. The props are in a box full of water in the cockpit. I spoke to the current owners brother and they apparently have a replacement Volvo 270 for it. The steering mechanism and steering wheel have been replaced. The windshield is mostly original but is cracked and there is clear plastic on the sides. The port compass is missing.

The forward bulkheads and the floor boards above the gas tanks appear to be sound, as does the transom ! I thought the transom would look like trash for sure. The cockpit bulkheads and flooring are all dry rotted. When I stepped on the port side hatch in the cockpit, it failed under my (210 lb) weight. The seats are flopping around on the original aluminum mounts. The mounts seem OK, it's the floor they are attached to that is the issue. I did see a mouse when I went forward below deck so I anticipate hidden damage especially to the electronics. The hull ID is on a plaque on the aft cockpit bulkhead inside the engine compartment. The Hull ID is 27 174 2. The max HP was tough to read. It did say 6 persons max. The rub rails are all dented. There is a hole in the bow where it meets the front of the trailer. I did see some blisters on the upper part of the hull. The boat definitely needs a marine survey before she gets anywhere near the water.

I gave the current owners fiancee my phone number and I gave his brother my bands business card. The prior owner died of complications from a boating accident eight years ago which is of course very, very, sad. My heart goes out to his family and friends after I heard the story. But it does explain why the boat has been sitting there for the last eight years. The grass around the boat is now at least 2 ft tall and I have $1.00 that says the wheel bearings on the trailer are all seized. Hopefully I'll hear back from them.
Dave
Old 08-13-2014, 09:33 PM
Registered

Where did you find all the vintage material? I went on the vintage part of this site and recognized so many of the boats! Kiekafer II, Putt Putt, Copper Kettle, KAAMA, just to name a few. In fact there are pics from Mentor Harbor Yacht club where I am positive I was there. Thank you for posting this stuff. WOW!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave145
Where did you find all the vintage material? I went on the vintage part of this site and recognized so many of the boats! Kiekafer II, Putt Putt, Copper Kettle, KAAMA, just to name a few. In fact there are pics from Mentor Harbor Yacht club where I am positive I was there. Thank you for posting this stuff. WOW!
Have you seen my post Back in the day here on OSO ?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...-back-day.html.

I been collecting offshore stuff since 1971, like many others here.