Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
MacGyver Supercharger... Interested? >

MacGyver Supercharger... Interested?

Notices

MacGyver Supercharger... Interested?

Old 06-30-2012, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MacGyver Supercharger... Interested?

Back in the day, when gas was 89 cents a gallon, a few of my buddies and I used to spend all night driving a 70 Camaro and a 72 Monte Carlo up and down Main Street..Boondocks Nebraska. My Grandpa came for a visit one summer and passed on a "cool" trick for us to try out. He told us to buy a couple of untions and 3 ft. Of fuel line and coil it into and back out of a Folgers Coffee Can and then reattach the fuel lines and fill the coffee can with ice. I'm sure some of you have done it.. But Cooler Air Temps provide significant Ignition Boost, well so does Ice Cold 87 Octane Liquid Gold! We didn't have coffee cans for both cars, but we had the whopping 3 bucks for the fuel lines and a couple of empty metal paint cans worked out even better because we could fit more ice in'em and they were shiny metal instead of coffee cans. We didn't have Dynos or computer testers then so this is a rough guesstimate, but I'd be willing to bet each car belched out about 15% to 25% more grunt, with the bigger gain coming from the 455 in the Monte Carlo. As I was detailing the engine compartment lastnight, I couldn't help but look at the 65 gallon stainless steel Gas Tank and fuel Outlet without wondering.."Hmmm.. I wonder if Anyone has ever considered refrigerating their metal gas tank?" Just a thought. Happy Saturday everyone! :-)
Old 06-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

We ran cool fuel cans back in the 60's drag racing to go faster.Cooling the fuel give you a more dense fuel air mixture.But to cool a complete fuel tank????I'd rather cool my beer and go a little slower LOL Just messing with ya!!! JOHN SR
Old 06-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Registered

I Know I know.. "This guy sounds Ghetto!" But truthfully.. you wouldn't hand your best buddy a warm beer?? Why are we doing it to our Most Obsessive Possession?? Most of you guys carry much more than 65 gallons of fuel and probably hate the fact that I can fill up for just over 200 bucks, but I just know that improving fuel econcomy while improving performance is something I think all of us can agree is a Good Thing. The rate at which fuel moves through the lines for you guys with High Performance motors is significantly faster than my stock 454 Mag, simply installing some type of cooler on the line between point A and Point B large enough to accomodate the ammount of fuel traveling thru it, would provide a substantial fuel temperature difference hence a Bigger Bang upon ignition.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:12 AM
Registered

How many gallons of Gas do you suppose a normal House sized refrigerator would hold?? I could get a stainless Frigidaire, line the inside with a fuel Bladder, weld the door shut, add the inlet and outlets, then fill up and plug it in to the ship to shore power supply overnight and Voila! 32.1 degree Petrol! ;-) Of course you'd be hauling around an additional 300 lbs of appliance.... and it would look really silly in my Pachanga ... but my Crown Supply would be Ice Cold?? Totally Worth the Ridicule at the Dock!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

It would be simpler just to try a Moroso cool can plumbed inline if you wanted the experiment - $120+ shipping and a bag of ice... if you are lucky it would only take half a bag and the rest is still good for cocktails... No idea if it would be even considered CG approved let alone insurable
Old 06-30-2012, 09:36 AM
Registered

Awesome! Coast Guard Approval ...hmmmm.. maybe I won't discuss it with them just yet??! ;-) Much cheaper and space saving than a FRIGIDAIRE..and I have plenty of Room for it in my engine compartment! I think I'm going to order it. Wth right?? If it doesn't work well, I'll just stuff it in my truck and use it hauling the boat around for those Terrible hills around Table Rock!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:41 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

On the merc fuel inj engines the do have a fuel cooler.It is water cooled called a cool fuel unit,you could put on your carb boat but put it on so water goes thru it before it enters the motor so the water is the coolest. You could also plumb it with a scoop in the bottom of boat so that once you get up and going water would be forced thru the cooler.That way you would not have to get into the engine cooling system.People do oil coolers like this. Just my 2 cents JOHN SR
Old 06-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

No reason to over do it. Do the same thing you used to do. You are just basically just cooling the fuel. Make a longer fuel line. Drill a couple holes in a cheap lunch cooler and run the lines through it. I have to try it in my 1959 Bise flat bottom.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1972 monte

carlo with a 455?? that would be a olds motor..mine has a 400 big block in it (402)...i have had the car since i was 15 and havnt put ice in the moroso cool can can in years...funny you mention it because i forgot all about it! here she is with 46000 oe miles on it..35 years and counting lol....

Last edited by FIXX; 07-01-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Registered

Nice Monte! Wrapped mine around a telephone pole on some wet asphalt one night. (Coors light and Immaturity may have been involved) ;-) The rocket went from the Monte to a motor stand in my Dads shop for several years until 2005 when I found a very straight and clean 1967 Skylark with a seized up 327. It's currently on the rotisserie getting fully restored. It's going to be a Very Quick Car considering the weight to torque ratio on the Motor! ;-) The 70 Camaro paid for my first 4x4 and a lot of beer my freshman year at UNL but there isn't a day that goes by when I don't wish I had that one back. So, I really need to start posting pics of this Pachanga. Should have the upholstery all finished by the 4th, if the 2 new front seats would hurry up and Ship!??! I'm a little disappointed with Overtons at the moment. I ordered them Tuesday and still waiting for a tracking #. I'll take some more pics Tuesday. There are some deep gouges in the aluminum rub rail so I'm going to hit'em with a belt sander with some wet dry starting with 100 and working my way up to 1000 followed by a thorough DA and some Maguires Machine Glaze and some #26 wax...but alas..that's for a new thread..LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.