'87 Pachanga 22 - Finally! >

'87 Pachanga 22 - Finally!

Notices

'87 Pachanga 22 - Finally!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '87 Pachanga 22 - Finally!

Haha! Title caught your eye didn't it? Well there's a reason! This isn't a of stickman811's project thread!

Let me tell you a little story. Back in the mid to late 80's my dad bought a 1986 SeaRay Pachanga 22 in the white with thin red stripes version and the 350/260hp powerplant. Here it is with my sister and me in the foreground:

The boat was named "NO REGRETS" and he only owned it for a couple of years but I remember being on it and cruising across Sebago Lake and going to the "sandbar" for a day of swimming and eating ham italians (a sandwich that I've been told is only available in our area) and salt and vinegar chips! My uncle and dad joked that NO REGRETS was (closely) STAGGER ON backwards and so that was a running thing in my family. More on this later...

My close uncle also bought a 1987 Pachanga 22 with the 454 in the thick blue color scheme back in the late 80's and him and my dad only had the Pachanga's at the same time for one season. I don't have a picture of his boat, but more on that later... He only had his for a few years as well and I'm not sure if it had a name. He had passed away unexpectedly at a young age (in his 50's) a few years ago to congestive heart failure.

My cousin (the son of the uncle mentioned above) had found a 22 (can't remember the color) a few years ago and owned it for a season and sold it for profit. He had named it "NO REGRETS TOO".

My dad had always wanted the Pachanga 32 and had found one in a barn 5-6 years ago in decent shape and bought it. He owned it for 2 seasons and sold it without naming it.

Guess what? I found a 1987 22 in the thick blue color scheme like my uncles with the 350 Magnum Alpha in amazing condition on Lake Winnipesaukee for a ridiculously low price! The original owner purchased it brand new from Irwin Marine right on the water. The second owner (the guy I bought it from) had purchased it on consignment from Irwin's from the original owner. It has been maintained and stored in a climate controlled garage during the off-season its entire life! Since he owned a camp on the lake he just drove it from the marina to his dock where it would stay during the summers for over 10 years and never see a trailer. When it needed service or the end of the season approached he would drive it on the water to Irwin's and they would pick it up with the fork lift and put it in the heated garage. Since it was his camp and he lived several hundred miles away it saw limited use. Since it was "his baby" (his words) he never skimmed on maintenance and Irwin's took care of it.

I'll post a couple of pictures of it below. I'm going to name it "STERGER ON" in homage to my dad and uncle and my dad's original boat name. I'm trying to match, as closely as I can get it, to my dad's lettering. I want the same font style, sizing and the slight arc down of the letters, except in the middle blue color. I need to call a local lettering guy to see how much it'll cost me to have it done and to see how closely we can match it.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Registered

Nice man! I just sold my thin red striped Pachanga

You said you are in the Northeast? I actually bought mine in Maine a few years back and trailered it back here to Texas. Was an awesome boat, just needed to go bigger. Congrats on the find though!!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Registered

Now that's a Great Story! I think all of us grew up liking something so much, we just had to have it when we got older. I've always loved late 70's and early to mid 80's K10 Chevy Trucks. Nothing looks tougher lifted up with some mud on it! My big brothers best buddy had a short box Chevy and now I have a Full Size that I'll Never Part with. Mechanically nothing on it is more than 15,000 miles old and as for cosmetics.. fuggedaboudit!! If I gotta worry about door dings and scratches from tree limbs..How the hell could I ever Drive it?? Our Family boat was a Giant 26 foot Open Bow Bright Orange Sea Ray.. affectionately names "the Great Pumpkin" it burned and sank in Lake McConaughy in 1981/82... I was 8 or 9 at the time and I remember crying my eyeballs out over it! I have digressed and Dated myself.. I'll be 40 in August and this is My First Boat. I should say though.. Nice Pachanga! Renaissance Men like Us are a dying breed, but a Damn Proud One! Someday our kids will see an '09 '10 Pachanga 22 for Sale on Craigslist for 10 g's and they'll move Heaven and Earth to get their hands on it! Here's to the Good Old Days!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Registered

Oh.. until the pics of yours, I never knew there was a Grab Bar across the Hatch in the back!! Holy Cow! I bet I could have one of those Fabricated pretty easily!??!
Old 07-21-2012, 05:22 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats! Great story, you must be pretty excited!

We've had our 86 22 Pachanga (350 Mag) for 10 yrs. Always wanted a big block model, bought one just like yours back in '09, Owned both for a year. One had to go and sold the big block.

Enjoy the new boat!

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails '87 Pachanga 22 - Finally!-sea-ray-062609-007.jpg   '87 Pachanga 22 - Finally!-sea-ray-001.jpg   '87 Pachanga 22 - Finally!-sea-ray-002.jpg  

Old 07-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Registered

Jay: What year was your red one? I'm actually trying to track down my dad's old boat. His was an '86 with those thin red stripes and had the 350 in it. The boat actually sank and someone found it floating in Casco Bay here in Maine several years back. They called my dad since his name was still attached to the registration and he said he had sold it. He mentioned that it had changed hands twice before sinking. I guess someone bought and restored it. I'm wondering if it's still out there somewhere.

Stick: I also have a 1966 Alumacraft Maracaibo that I'm slowly restoring for my 86 year old grandfather! He bought it brand new in 1966 on a trailer and a 40hp Evinrude. I've striped the interior and will be filling the rivoted seams with Gluvit to make sure it doesn't take on water. After that it'll get a new floor, some seats and I'm trying to find a similar vintage 40-50hp Evinrude to replace the one that was one it since it's siezed. It hasn't been registered since 1986, the year he sold his camp on Thompson Lake here in Maine. It sat outside with a blue tarp over it for decades. Oh and my dad's had the grab bar too. Mine is in need of some fiberglass work at the hatch hinge where the grab bar is too.

Biggus: Is that on the river Kurt? Are you on the Sebago or Long Lake side of the locks? If I see your boat I'll swing in! It's always neat to see other Pachangas. Seeing yours, the only thing I wish ours had is the cuddy windows. We'll never sleep in it, but it still could use some ventilation when we get in there to change clothes and to grab the ski vests and stuff. What color and year was the big block one you had? I'm also wondering where my uncle's '87 blue 454 is these days... Where did you buy that big block one in '09?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Registered

@Acex... I'd like to get my hands on an Old "Riva" they're an Italian runabout..all wood... Mahogany.. Teak, and Various Brazilian Hardwoods. Gorgeous Boats, and the hulls are designed for Offshore use..Can you imagine an 80 MPH. Fuel Injected Antique Dining Room Table??..LMAO!!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Registered

hahahahahahaha!
Old 07-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool story! I love my 91, I fell in love at the age of 8 when I saw it sitting at the Sea Ray dealer, I couldn't convince my dad to buy so 20 years later I bought one for myself. In my book, the best Sea Ray they ever made.