Notices

Lil Rhino

Old 11-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ironhead
gotta love those trailers of steel in the backround
Where is that taken? If thats 188, down by Magnum I would assume? Trailers probably Atlantic Foundations in that case...

Nice Doral, great to see it still being well taken care of H2o!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
Lil Rhino the Magnum was lost in the Emerald City Harbor Fire around 1975 along with Ken's & Sandy's 28' Bertram Baron Killer. Ken's Mirage became many race boats after her sold it in 1981. Kenny's Jack Roush Ford race engines went into Jerry Girschners Active cat Blue Max ,, the hull became SHOCK WAVE & FINISH LINE,, today ?????
Mark do you know where Ken's Mirage is now?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratman72
That's incredible, small world, especially around these boats. I once posted a picture of a '79 Starfire and got talking with the current owner - the boat is still totally original, including the 8 track!!!

Why the interest in Lil Rhino? Is it being restored??
I replaced the 8-trac but its still very original...
Attached Thumbnails Lil Rhino-photo.jpg  
Old 11-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hay, nice to hear from you Marshall. Glad to see she looks as good as ever! Hope you and your boat remain well!

Thought you my find these links of interest. They are of my oldmans 1971 '27 sport, finally nearing completion......

All the best.........

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/m...er-detail.html

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/m...71-2012-a.html
Old 11-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have to look as I know I have a bunch of Ken and I going head to head. We raced against each other for years. Inferno vs Lil Rhino.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan Pike
I'll have to look as I know I have a bunch of Ken and I going head to head. We raced against each other for years. Inferno vs Lil Rhino.
Remember this great start.
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by topprop
Mark do you know where Ken's Mirage is now?
Joe I have know idea where it is. I wish I did, back when I sold my pleasure Mirage I might have gone for the Rhino. Mark
Old 11-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Joe I have know idea where it is. I wish I did, back when I sold my pleasure Mirage I might have gone for the Rhino. Mark
From what I was told the Rhino and Wolverine ( Mirages) were produced at the same time.

Both were Kevlar and very light and strong for the day.

I was told the Kevlar Wolverine was scraped after Pete made the jump to open class as it was beyond repair.

As you said earlier Ken's went on the race into the 90's....was that the same boat or did Black have more than one Mirage over the years?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by topprop
From what I was told the Rhino and Wolverine ( Mirages) were produced at the same time.

Both were Kevlar and very light and strong for the day.

I was told the Kevlar Wolverine was scraped after Pete made the jump to open class as it was beyond repair.

As you said earlier Ken's went on the race into the 90's....was that the same boat or did Black have more than one Mirage over the years?
Kevlar ,,, I dont think so, Joe to early 1976, but was built late 1975. They were hulls # 1 & 2, & # 3 was the La Salle thats still here on the Lake St Clair, OSO member [justbassing] has it & it's a very heavy polyester lay up. My first Mirage was a 1976 that Bob Johson [Eagel trailer] bought new & raced, again heavy polyester glass lay up.
Klym killed the Wolverine Mirage, tried to stretch it to pull a mold off it & broke it beyond repair. Kenny Black only had one Mirage he sold to Gerry Girschner who only raced it a few time with Red Crain. Jerry stripped it for the powertrain to use in his Active cat Blue Max.
Attached Thumbnails Lil Rhino-mirage-la-salle-1-h2o.jpg   Lil Rhino-old-school-08.jpg   Lil Rhino-mirage-w-b-1-h2o.jpg  

Lil Rhino-mirage-016.jpg   Lil Rhino-mirage-w_b-h2o.jpg   Lil Rhino-mirage-h2o-00001.jpg  

Lil Rhino-mirage-facts-1-h2o.jpg   Lil Rhino-mirage-002-h2o.jpg  
Old 11-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Kevlar ,,, I dont think so, Joe to early 1976, but was built late 1975. They were hulls # 1 & 2, & # 3 was the La Salle thats still here on the Lake St Clair, OSO member [justbassing] has it & it's a very heavy polyester lay up. My first Mirage was a 1976 that Bob Johson [Eagel trailer] bought new & raced, again heavy polyester glass lay up.
Klym killed the Wolverine Mirage, tried to stretch it to pull a mold off it & broke it beyond repair. Kenny Black only had one Mirage he sold to Gerry Girschner who only raced it a few time with Red Crain. Jerry stripped it for the powertrain to use in his Active cat Blue Max.
Mark,

I always love to hear the real scoop from you.

Regarding the attempted mold do you kow how big a boat he was trying for?

Btw do you know what effect good or bad the big WB tabs made on that hull?

Last question I promise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.