Notices

7xChamp

Old 11-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 7xChamp

Richie, are you out there?

I've got a question about the 35' Dry Martini.
When you were throttling, Did Carlo need to hold his left elbow up a bit so he didn't interfere with the throttle levers?
Seems like it would be a bit uncomfortable.

Jeff
Old 12-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting question Jeff, I think I've just got long arms and too many lbs hanging over the front!!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hallj
Richie, are you out there?

I've got a question about the 35' Dry Martini.
When you were throttling, Did Carlo need to hold his left elbow up a bit so he didn't interfere with the throttle levers?
Seems like it would be a bit uncomfortable.

Jeff
I`m here. None of my drivers had to hold there elbows up, we all fit and worked perfectly, including Tom Gentry in the 35 Cig American Eagle # 99
Old 12-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Registered

Hello Richie, I was fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to drive Martini last year in the Cowes Torquay - had a fantastic time but couldn't find anywhere to put my left elbow with my old school lifeline jacket on. What a boat, in really good condition and kept very original throughout.

Anyhow, are you going to come over to Europe at all next year to take in some of the Cowes Monte Carlo race? It would be great for the sport if we could get some big names, such as yourself, to be a part......I'd also love to get to meet you one day!!!

Best wishes......
Old 12-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Registered

Richie, while I have your attention, I'd just like to say that one of the most memorable moments of offshore racing I have, was just before the start of the 1976 Needles Trophy in Poole. You and TG came out of the Haven doing about 70/80 and took American Eagle off the wash of the cabin cruiser I was on.........truly mind blowing for a 4 year old!

Unbelievably, a couple of days later you did something pretty similar coming out of Cowes, late for the start the CTC. Man, that boat could fly and how those Champion Makers sounded, incredible........Beken of Cowes did a fantastic poster of that boat flying well, my Uncle still has an original copy hanging on the wall of his boat shop.

Thanks for the ever lasting memory!

Last edited by Ratman72; 12-02-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Registered

Sorry for hijacking your thread Jeff.......
Old 12-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratman72
Sorry for hijacking your thread Jeff.......
No worries : Always enjoy the thoughts . Back in the day we flew boats more than drove them in the water. Seeing the boat in Cowes was great, I wish I could have been there. Cowes was always my most challenging race, I always equated it to the Indianapolis 500 car race, Daytona, and LeMans 24 hr.. To win that race three out of five times to me is monumental, and to hold a record of 79.8 mph for the full course is extra special. Not sure if still stands or not ???
Old 12-03-2012, 03:18 AM
Registered

Yes, very impressive Richie, I remember watching the race - ‘Satisfaction’ a 38’ Scarab, 1980 – another one of my all time favourite boats , do you know what happened to it/where it is? I guess the others wins were with Carlo Bonomi in Aeromarine & Dry Martini 36’ Cigs?
I think (not sure) the course record is now held by Fabio Buzzi in his Red FPT at over 90 mph. As impressive as that boat is, it’s just not the same as watching an old-school deep V with a pair of big blocks!! Your right, CTC is a special race and seeing a bunch of 35’/36’ Cigs battle it out with the Shead boats was a sight to behold. Sadly the race these days is a shadow of its former self, but we should be grateful that some people can still be bothered to put on a show and its still going. Hopefully the Cowes Monte Carlo race next June will attract some sponsors and reignite the whole thing – hopefully see you there, there’s three or four days of social beforehand. I believe that Carlo Bonomi was at the 50th anniversary CTC in 2010, perhaps we could get you both together at this one??
Old 12-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratman72
Interesting question Jeff, I think I've just got long arms and too many lbs hanging over the front!!!!
Let's work on that for the new year. I've got a saw you work on the rest.

Jeff
Old 12-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Registered

Perhaps I could get a couple of UJ's fitted???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.