Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Do you ever feel Bummed about the money in your boat? >

Do you ever feel Bummed about the money in your boat?

Notices

Do you ever feel Bummed about the money in your boat?

Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

We just spent about 4k in the paint alone (Imron) on our project, but ittl be worth it in the end. Classics are priceless
Old 01-08-2013, 06:04 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default I was just thinking.....

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
We just spent about 4k in the paint alone (Imron) on our project, but ittl be worth it in the end. Classics are priceless
between paint and upholstery, that can make or break the entire look of the boat and be the most expensive part of the project.
I'm getting better at paint (did the Sonic) but upholstery....., I look at a "Fine Line" and just walk away shaking my head trying to imagine what my boat would look like with one
Old 01-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
between paint and upholstery, that can make or break the entire look of the boat and be the most expensive part of the project.
I'm getting better at paint (did the Sonic) but upholstery....., I look at a "Fine Line" and just walk away shaking my head trying to imagine what my boat would look like with one
Between paint and upholstery we have 6500 dollars in our 3500 dollar boat
Whoops lol
Gary your Sonic is a beauty!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After sinking a bunch of money in an 8 year restoration of my Chevelle, I kept all the receipts,,,,, I won't do that with the boat!!!
Besides what Sonic and Sprink said, when your're out there cruisin the river and that things purring,,, there ain't nothin' better.
And then you'll be thinking,,,,,, it wasn't that bad I guess.
I just like the character of an old boat, so that's what I have, and do what I need to have it.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default Thank...

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
Between paint and upholstery we have 6500 dollars in our 3500 dollar boat
Whoops lol
Gary your Sonic is a beauty!
You Sir.

My upholstery is nice but nothing compared to what many on here have and I have more in it than the paint and motors. I did supply the labor for those though.

If I can ever get my photobucket acct. to work I'll post some current pix's of it. So far, no luck.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Registered

I've spent A LOT on a 24' full restoration. More than I had budgeted & sometimes shake my head knowing ill never see a reasonable return and also thinking what I could have bought done....ready to run for the same money.

On the other hand it is done exactly to my taste & that's often hard to find in a custom boat.

MD
Old 01-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with what everyone has said. I would love to have a new boat but I can't afford the $100,000 price tag. I have been lucky in finding deals on decent boats and not putting to much money in them because I can do most of the work and the things I can't do (upholestry and fiberglass) I have people that charge very little. My latest work in progress is a 89 22' Velocity. It's a nice boat for what I do, its not a big water, sleek, and sexy boat but its a fun play toy. I have roughly $4500 in it with a new motor that I built, new floor, and while I had the floor out I checked the fuel tank and re did some wiring. I have only ran it maybe 2-3 hrs last year but with not much in it, it runs a respectable 77 mph and hopefully with more time in it I can run 80. Over the years I have bought boats for cheap and was able to trade up to bigger boats that were classics but needed some TLC. Maybe one day I will have that Skater or Cigarrette but I'm sure it won't be new but it will look good and run good when I am done with it.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
We have to keep a substantial vehicle to tow these things around. Now admittedly that's part of the appeal of trailer boating but I wince every time I put $75~$80 in the tank of my SUV just to be able to tow my boat...but I love it.

See, this is where I am smarter than you. I have a 1/2 ton burb for the wife to drive as a daily driver. Gets decent milage and the other operating cost is minimal. I have a 96 Impala SS for a daily driver that gets the best milage of all our vehicles, so I consider myself kinda "green" in an Al Gore sort of way.

Now, for the boat, I have a 3/4 ton burb with the 496 in it just for pulling the boat. That is pretty much all it does, so the milage is minimal and the MPG really do not matter. After all, I am towing a vehicle that gets 2 mpg with a vehicle that gets about 10 mpg towing it, so again kinda "green".

For the camper, I have a second 3/4 ton burb with the 496 in it just for the camper. Pretty much stays hooked up to it all winter in storage for when I have to move it around. Again, milage is higher due to the camping we do as a family, but I am not burning fuel on the 3/4 ton vehicle everyday. And since we are burning all this fuel while enjoying the great outdoors, I kinda consider that "green" also.

Now, I have to insure all four vehicles, but being in Indiana that is about $1200 a year for full coverage. That is 1200 single green dollar bills, so again I am rather "green" there also.

Now the fact that I am sitting here waiting for the freezing weather to arrive on Sunday again while you are preparing to go boating, kinda kills that whole smarter thing, but I feel good knowing that I am so "green".

Where the heck is my "holiday card" Mr. Gore? Thought I would be on your good list?!?!?!?

Brian
Old 01-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cyrus77
I am fixing up an older boat (1981) I have been amazed it has needed stringers, floor, and a fuel tank, etc etc . I thought I check it out well but it had so many "surprises" my head spins and my wallet hurts. Seem like everyone has stories of great deals, but I always wonder, if they had to bust another 5k or 10k (or more) for "surprises". What is your experience?
After further reflection, maybe I can help explain how I approach it from the biblical perspective. Read Matthew 6:19, which says "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth...".

I can think of no better way to prevent storing up riches on earth than owning a boat! Heck, even the apostles were boat owners. I think this is what Matthew was talking about when he said this. I have to remind my wife occasionally how Christian I am being when I spend our money on the boat.

I can think of other ways to not store up treasures like whores and drugs, but the bible kinda talks down those options, so I am just going with the sure ticket to heaven, a boat. I may even keep a fishing net on board just for good measure.

Glad to help you out spiritually, Brian
Old 01-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by befu
After further reflection, maybe I can help explain how I approach it from the biblical perspective. Read Matthew 6:19, which says "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth...".

I can think of no better way to prevent storing up riches on earth than owning a boat! Heck, even the apostles were boat owners. I think this is what Matthew was talking about when he said this. I have to remind my wife occasionally how Christian I am being when I spend our money on the boat.

I can think of other ways to not store up treasures like whores and drugs, but the bible kinda talks down those options, so I am just going with the sure ticket to heaven, a boat. I may even keep a fishing net on board just for good measure.

Glad to help you out spiritually, Brian
One of the funnier posts I've read recently
Gives me ammo for the future wife (whenever I find one)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.