Notices

My New Restoration

Old 04-21-2024, 01:43 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My New Restoration

Recently I had the chance to pick up an oldie but a goodie... 88 Wellcraft Scarab 38 ... It will be arriving shortly and I am looking forward to sharing my restoration with the forums here. I will post some pics as I get them along with the restoration process as it comes along.
My plan to date is to repaint the hull gloss black, finish the engine hook ups and break in the new engine, begin the design phase for the cabin restoration as it is currently still rocking the 80's fuzzy bear style cushioned interior, start buying and collecting parts for the engine upgrades- will be boring out the engines- better intakes- cams- rockers the usual stuff to squeeze out some more HP. I have named the boat Wicked Intentions.... little sub tone on my recent divorce and newly appreciated single status. I am hoping to have the paint work completed in short order over the next month and the new graphics laid out shortly after that. I want to have it ready as quickly as possible so I can make some of the local poker runs here and get my two kids out and enjoying what will be a fantastic summer of boating fun!

Last edited by Blackrain1; 04-21-2024 at 03:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blackrain1:
larslindroth (Yesterday), pullmytrigger (Yesterday)
Old 04-21-2024, 02:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

Subscribed!

can you give more details? Pictures?
Old 04-21-2024, 02:58 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here ya go...Jeff32 and thanks for the sub! I don't have much more information yet as I am waiting for all the paperwork for the boat. The gentleman that was previously working on this project did a ton of work on it. New engine, new upholstery in the cockpit, sand blasted the drives and painted them, sanded the hull and a bunch more work. It has twin 454's in it, and from what I understand was confiscated by the RCMP for one of the previous owners using it to run some illegal contraband. I know it currently needs a new set of risers which I managed to source out, the carbs installed, the wiring and cooling system hoses reconnected from the engine install. There is a bit of trailer work that needs to be done as well that will have to be addressed, new fenders, install the master cylinder for the braking system etc. I will be picking up where he left off once the boat arrives here at it's new home and be posting my progress as I move forward with the restoration. I am looking forward to getting it finished and in the water and hope to meet up with some other members here in some poker runs or my touring adventures. I am hoping to make it out to Lake Cumberland this year or next if everything goes well... some of the video's of that party are just crazy fun looking. I have always wanted to do an offshore boat of this size and finally my dream is about to come true, it may have taken more years than I care to admit in getting here but I'm still young enough that there will be many many more years of enjoyment to come with this new chapter. My ultimate plan is to pass this boat down to my two daughters when I pass and keep this thing a hopeful family treasure for generations to come. But first things first... starting this project with the basics.... Any and all advice, tips and knowledge shared will always be welcomed and appreciated as I start this restoration... I thank everyone in advance for what I know will be just the beginning of my many many questions...lol

Cheers.

Cheers.

Last edited by Blackrain1; 04-21-2024 at 03:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blackrain1:
larslindroth (Yesterday), resurrected (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:41 AM
Registered

Received 634 Likes on 293 Posts

Congrats. Lots to do here, but it would be neat to finish this project that the cool ol' Gentleman tried to get done but eventually learned that his pals were not as helpful as they at the time of his purchase had displayed to be. The boat is supposedly an '85. Your color choices sound great. Dan just completed a new flat deck Team Archer Marine, (Team Scarab 38) with a completely black gel hull that's destined for LOTO. Its deck and fairing is white, and the owner will eventually do some minor color graphics to the hull. I liked it solid black though. Dan at Archer Marine, Huntington Beach, California, and his crew, do unbelievable work.
Best of luck with everything. Now speed this up for your daughters' sake, cheers Lars.
P.S. If You want to go larger, there's a serious Team Scarab 43 project available here on the 'Left Coast'. D.S.

Last edited by larslindroth; Yesterday at 01:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by larslindroth:
rak rua (Yesterday), resurrected (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Oh Lars……That video should come with a ‘viewer advice warning’.
I couldn’t watch it all, too depressing. After the first minute, I zapped forward 5 minutes, he was still wandering around complaining about the price of wheel bearings or something. FFwd again to the last few minutes and he’s sitting inside, on the verge of tears.

To the OP, don’t let this happen to you, go slowly and methodically and make yourself aware of everything that could possibly go wrong before spending your settlement money!

Transom and stringers are the first major items to check, most old Scarabs are rotten. Old engines and drives, you’ll have to spend time online sourcing things for the drives if needed. I think there’s a lot of decent second hand parts around but you’ll have to search for them.

If you can do most of the work yourself, that’s great. If you have to outsource a lot of work, it can be costly.

Good luck, I hope it works out as planned, just allow time and focus on the goal. These old Scarabs are classics.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; Yesterday at 05:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 496 Likes on 271 Posts

I saw that when it was posted on KIJIJI. Very sad story.
Whatever you have budgeted for it, my advise is to double it now.
Don't rush it, cutting corners will come back to haunt you out on the water on a nice sunny day.
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (Yesterday)