Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
New member- 87 IMP Restoration >

New member- 87 IMP Restoration

Notices

New member- 87 IMP Restoration

Old 06-09-2013, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I learned that the original Thunderbolt Ignition couldn't hold the 6500rpm we gave it with the prop change. reasoning for running such high rpm was the engine was built for this reason per say. The cam still makes great power according to comp cams up to 7k. Although I will never ever run it that far as I'm redoing my props to match my higgest speed without spinning the crap out of the 454 :edit: the cam would really shine in a engine 502+ci and better heads. I went from 25-23 pitch and two completely different prop setups. My ignition has been switched out with the thunderbolt 6 box that original owner had changed. Apparently produces more spark?? But my engine Machinest as we assemble our own engines saw this and all the brass in the mains. He said looks like your detonating! Apparently I was receiving more spark closest to the distributer and the farthest starting to drop off???? Sounded crazy to me too but he has a very good point. From running it that hard while loosing spark it was literally chugging along the other cylinders that were falling off. Therefore putting a bind on the main bearing. He said go MSD but I have had another great forum member here inform me that Crane may also come out with the marine ignition system which he highly recommended. It may just boiled down to cost. But my engine total consist of
454ci/ port matched oval heads to team-g intake/ 850 Holley/ custom comp cams .693 intake/.695 exhaust @.50 on 104 LSA/ solid roller with stud girdle/10.5:1 comp/ and gm steel crank/Stellings dry exhaust with mufflers/ stock rods w/arp bolts everywhere and timing we did not know as the original owner didn't mark the crank so we pulled it down and are rebuilding since I didn't like the oil pressure. Thank god we did!

Last edited by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS; 06-09-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Registered

Well definitely not going to make July 4th deadline. Work picked up tremendously. So next year I will enjoy her but through the winter the wife and I were contemplating repainting it in either
-two tone , sea foam green rub rail and up/white bottom
-or-
-sea foam green in all the painted blue areas now. Side stripe top stripe and section under the guard rail.
We are also planning on having all the interior done to match as well if we pull the trigger on the color change. Had a option to sell and go to a bigger SR1 311 formula that could probably need a refreshing with stock 330's. but I think I'm going to hold off and enjoy the full potential I can get from my IMP and move up to my goal 32/38 Active Thunder in Years to come.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I'm gonna have to get Kraus Jr to build me a motor for the baja so I can bust this imp's ass. Hahaha. Looks good Dave. Really like the bolsters. Are you going with paint or wrap?
Old 08-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Registered

Decided on paint. Looking at the Seafoam Green for a little more modern color. Plus my wife lets me spend money on my projects and favors that color. So it's great for both of us. Haha I do t know about that whooping a$$ part though! ;-) you know us krauses usually have a few tricks up our sleeve. Lol
Old 09-08-2013, 08:02 AM
Registered

adding a few photos and trying to decide what to do with the holes leftover from previous bolster setup. Any body have any idea what I could fill these with? I also installed 2 8' Access panels so I can mount a aluminum or stainless support under the new Pantera Bolsters for more bolt through support. This area if you can see in the pics is the non skid material. I will be covering this up with the newer style carpet that removes easy for cleaning and not the glued down type. Here are a few pics to give you and Idea and another to see how far I will be moving the steering wheel over to go center with the gauges[URL=http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/KrausMotoSports57/media/photo3-20_zps3617e053.jpg.html][/URL[URL=http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/KrausMotoSports57/media/photo2-24_zps9c16ce60.jpg.html][/URL
Old 09-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Registered

Duraglass maybe. Stuff sets like concrete once its dry harder than hell to sand once cured too. I've used it its best to shape it before it sets. Good looking boat.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Registered

Thanks! Sdg! The wheel is coming off over the winter and getting a nice powder coat treatment as well as a bunch of other stuff too. It's getting there little by little.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Registered

Yeah every thing goes little by little but eventually you get to the finish lol. I just used some duraglass today and I forgot how short the working time is when its 90+ degrees out lol. You're lucky you are reusing your wheel. Mine is fugly and am changing it out entirely. Those bolsters will look great in your boat.