Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Classic Race Scarab 1st flat deck where is it! >

Classic Race Scarab 1st flat deck where is it!

Notices

Classic Race Scarab 1st flat deck where is it!

Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Race Scarab 1st flat deck where is it!

Hey guys I posted this in the scarab section with no responce. I thought I'd post here and see what I can find, I hope one of you guys might know where the trail of bread crums may lead.

"Hi everyone,

I was home in Sarasota for the 4th of july weekend and was reminded by an old friend of mine by the name of Jimmy Gregg that he used to run a 30 flat deck back in the day of APBA that was orange and white. Gorgeous boat, it had cut down Race hatches from a 377 and staggered big blocks with TRS drives and speed masters. He was telling me about all the fun he had testing the bravos when they first came out. I was wondering if anyone had any pics of this boat or new where it was??? I'm in the market and I'd love to restore and old race boat. She was white with Orange stripes and Orange 3 man bolsters. A picture of it used to hang in the old boat house by the Hyatt in Sarasota. Any advice is appreciated. "

Ok guys I found more info on the boat, I thought you'd enjoy the history... I just need to get a damn picture of this thing if anyone has it. This is an email I got right from Jim.

Larry Smith owned Scarab racing in Ca. He got a royalty on each boat that Wellcraft built with the Scarab name on it. I believe he modified Betty's boat, but it actually was a Chriscraft Cat at the time. My friend Gus Anastasia of Wellcraft raced with Betty. The boats that Larry built were usually only race boats. Mine was built with 3 layers of kevlar in the hull and deck. Backshipped from Ca. by Wellcraft & delivered to my house. Just a bare hull,deck,& 2- 38' KV engine hatches that we had to cut down to fit. It was also the 1st flat-deck 31' boat built. Most people rigged their own boats that Larry built them . Mine was the first to use staggered motors. Well craft built 31's with the engines side-by-side. Mine also was the 1st boat to use Bravo drives. Gus set me up with a deal with Mercruiser to do R&D work for them. The 1st drives were very fragile, and we broke a lot of them.
As for the boat it went to Tx. when I sold it. He sold it to Craig Archer in Ca. & that season it became B-1 national champion! The next I here about the boat, is that it went to Mi.

Jim Gregg B-79

So thats the email I got and I think its an awesome story to an old race boat, I can't wait to find her. I know its out there somewhere.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep looking something will pop up. Very interesting!
Old 07-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I Remember when Craig Archer had it. I don't recall what it became when he sold it. Where is Craig? Didn't he leave CA and start a business over seas somewhere?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yeah Craig is back in New Zealand ,not sure if he owns a business over there or not. I know he raced a scarab with Nigel Hook back in the day, may have been that boat. Nigel may have an idea where it ended up.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Registered

thanks guys, I think I may have tracked down the owner, I have his buddies email address and have been talkin back and forth. Doesn't sound like he's ready to sell it but hey things change and everything is for sale I guess. Here's hopin. I talked to Jim Gregg the original owner of the boat and he's going to send me pics. I'll post them as soon as I get them.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

stay on top of this and hopefully get some pics to post

"glass dave, see what i'm sayin?"
Old 07-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I remember that boat it was being rigged/fixed at Malestrom in 1989, we had our Malestrom back there for the Sarasota race and it was the first boat with staggered Bravo's. Mercury was there several times and someone was building all kinds of bearing carriers and supports for the driveshaft. I have to tell you I fell in love with that boat it was one of the prettiest boats, sleek and sexy like a mini-38. I wanted that boat soooo bad!!!

ps I believe Brett Archer (Craig's brother) was doing some of the work/rigging on it. He had helped me with my Malestrom as well when he wroked there.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:14 AM
Registered

UHG yea I know what you mean, the orange and white was sexy, it also had the engine hatches airbrushed with murals of underwater scenes.

Well guys here is the update on this quest....

I emailed the current owners friend and he was going to call him on his way home from work and get back to me... Never happened.

The original owner Jim Gregg was supposed to email me a picture of it and that never happened either!!! UHG this is starting to become the mystical Unicorn of the oldschool world.

Anyone have any other suggestions??? Other than just quit or give up haha...
Old 07-21-2013, 06:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Never quit or give up ! Sometimes you just have to wait a little bit, you never know who is talking to who and what my be working out that you don't know about yet. Be patient my friend!
Old 07-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wet Bowtie
Never quit or give up ! Sometimes you just have to wait a little bit, you never know who is talking to who and what my be working out that you don't know about yet. Be patient my friend!

I hear ya man, I just need to get a pic of her for you guys to see. She's a beauty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.