Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Old magazine ad's, race coverage from when the waves were really big ;) >

Old magazine ad's, race coverage from when the waves were really big ;)

Notices

Old magazine ad's, race coverage from when the waves were really big ;)

Old 07-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default Old magazine ad's, race coverage from when the waves were really big ;)

Started a thread about whether to put forth the effort to preserve the history I have in a bunch of old boat magazines I started to throw away in preparation for our upcoming move.

The vote was that I scan and post what I have so here it is. Hope y'all enjoy it and anyone else w/similar, please feel free to attach it to this thread.

I'm envisioning a yr or two from now this may be a highly valuable and historical thread.

Have seen much discussion about the origin of Fountain being the old Excaliburs. This rear cover, full page ad would seem to validate that. They didn't even take the logo off the boat??
No beak yet either.
Notice too, only 475 HP's from twin turbo'd big blocks. Times sure have changed.

This is circa 1981.

Notice the Chris Craft Excalibur in the classified ad and compare to the lines of the Fountain above. Circa 1980

Another interesting one. I was really admiring the 312 Scorpion in this ad and then I noticed how similar it is to the 1981 Exaclibur/Fountain

So we had an Excalibur, a Chris Craft and a Fountain that were all the same boats??

Sonic, 1981.

Ever hear of a BMW I/O?? Or in-line 6 BMW power?? I guess kinda like the old 340 six pack Chrysler I/O's back in the day.

That's all for now. Forgot what a PIA this is.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 07-30-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is great stuff!! You know 86 MPH back then was like 150 is now...REALLY BIG DEAL!!
Old 07-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
You know 86 MPH back then was like 150 is now...REALLY BIG DEAL!!
No doubt. Still a ton of 31' offshore boats that aren't that fast now but imagine 32 yrs ago!

Notice too, in the small print of that ad. "100% Kevlar construction".
Old 07-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome find/pics. That was hauling the mail back then, hell even now is not to shaby..

John jr
Old 07-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

the Excalibur was built by my old next door neighbor Bill Farmer. My dad was either VP or President of Chris Craft during those days. the 31 Executioner was built by Bill for Reggie. Reggie bought them as bare hulls and then added his own rigging and engines. that was how Fountain Powerboats started. Chris Craft also had Bill build hulls for them until they started building their own. performance boats are a very small world.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
the Excalibur was built by my old next door neighbor Bill Farmer. My dad was either VP or President of Chris Craft during those days. the 31 Executioner was built by Bill for Reggie. Reggie bought them as bare hulls and then added his own rigging and engines. that was how Fountain Powerboats started. Chris Craft also had Bill build hulls for them until they started building their own. performance boats are a very small world.
Great history lesson. Thanks.
You can clearly see the similarities between hulls in the performance boat market and know that lots of hulls are shared between builders.