Bertram 28' Baron Comes Home

Notices

Bertram 28' Baron Comes Home

Old 10-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Bertram 28' Baron Comes Home

Today the 28' Bertram Baron SUPER MOTH, Long Shot came home to Michigan. It has taken MANY YEARS to find this Baron no thanks to a OSO member who new it's location BUT WHEN ASKED MANY TIMES after he posted pic's of it, & were it was WOULD NOT SHARE it's location.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...ce-boat-3.html

Funny or Sad this same member is always asking info on boats he had, has, or wanted and has always gotten helpful info back from myself and many other OSO members as that is what this site is about.
Using satellite map technology I found the Baron in a marina Sombra Ont Canada . Mr Bill [ olredalert ] & I are now partners on her so when we decide to restore her it will be better than new.
Attached Thumbnails Bertram 28' Baron Comes Home-bert-dsc05000-1-.jpg   Bertram 28' Baron Comes Home-bert-dsc05002.jpg   Bertram 28' Baron Comes Home-bert-dsc05007.jpg  

Bertram 28' Baron Comes Home-bertram-28-s-m-h2o.jpg   Bertram 28' Baron Comes Home-bert-scan0169.jpg   Bertram 28' Baron Comes Home-b-3a.jpg  

Bertram 28' Baron Comes Home-b-4aa.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a cool and rare boat that you have. I'm sure once it gets fully restored you'll be turning a lot of heads.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Mark,

Bravo on your 28 Baron find!.......your due dilgence paid off!.........I wasn't familiar w/story just read it all..........not really surprised who that
selfish person is ............... Your partnership with Bill should be a fine colaboration.................., Good luck with the restoration!

Last edited by scippy; 10-19-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:54 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark ,

Congrads on a great find,, its sad,,, we are all here in this unique offshore boating sport and some people just want to take and not give back and share. Am sure that you and Bill will do the Baron proud when you restore her back

Best of Luck
Old 10-19-2013, 01:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bill & I did not need one more boat as we both have a few classics boats waiting to restore in the wings, but I could stand to think of letting this one fall into the wrong hands & not giving it it's justice due. I have watched this Baron since it came to Lake St Clair back in the early 70's, & even raced against it back then. It last raced around 1980 when Dave Belcovson raised the Volvo drives 5" & that made it fly. Whats also cool about the Baron it has Wolverine beryllium bronze gimbals & other Volvo parts that Pete Smith's company made back in the day, a real Lake St Clair time capsule. When we start this it won't be a quick winter project but rather a proper restoration this classic deserves.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations Mark! Looks to be pretty solid. Get yourself a time lapse camera ( for the rest of us). Let me know when you are going to have a sanding party and I will volunteer.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad some A hole didn't get a hold of it.
Good work Mark! You're the best.

Jeff
Old 10-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark Congratulations!!!

I'm happy to see that you were able to get such a classic to compliment the collection you and Bill already have. I can't wait to see it. Have you decided how far your going to go on it? Meaning are you thinking of just cleaning it up or going the Fino route? Either way it's a great looking boat that really belongs back on St Clair. Let me know when I can meet you I would love to take a look at it and pick up the GLOPRA sticker to have Phil make us some new ones for the old girls on the lake.

Joe
Old 10-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by topprop
Mark Congratulations!!!

I'm happy to see that you were able to get such a classic to compliment the collection you and Bill already have. I can't wait to see it. Have you decided how far your going to go on it? Meaning are you thinking of just cleaning it up or going the Fino route? Either way it's a great looking boat that really belongs back on St Clair. Let me know when I can meet you I would love to take a look at it and pick up the GLOPRA sticker to have Phil make us some new ones for the old girls on the lake.

Joe
Joe the backyard collection is always open, some in my yard, Lee's yard, & Marine City. I don't know what the plan is yet for her, back to stock, or the way Jerry Miller or Don A raced it.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Katanna
Congratulations Mark! Looks to be pretty solid. Get yourself a time lapse camera ( for the rest of us). Let me know when you are going to have a sanding party and I will volunteer.
This Bertram is solid but will need lots of love, but just like your Mirage well worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.