Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
"The Cigarette and The Beatles" - #16 The Cigarette featured on Tampa ABC Sunday News >

"The Cigarette and The Beatles" - #16 The Cigarette featured on Tampa ABC Sunday News

Notices

"The Cigarette and The Beatles" - #16 The Cigarette featured on Tampa ABC Sunday News

Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "The Cigarette and The Beatles" - #16 The Cigarette featured on Tampa ABC Sunday News

Not as much of a feature as I hoped but at least there is some current video of #16 cruising Tampa Bay recently.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/lo...?autoplay=true

Also a slightly longer article (text , no video) in the Tampa Bay Times titled "The Racing Boat that roughed up the Beatles is restored" LOL!!

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/racin...stored/2166605

Enjoy,

Dave

Last edited by 78CIG24; 02-25-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Pretty cool!

This made me laugh a little though ...

"The Cigarette Racing Team brand, popularized by the 1980s television series Miami Vice, eventually became associated with all performance boats, regardless of the manufacturer."
Old 02-25-2014, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Artie!!

Hope all is well with you!

Yeah lots of little interesting bits of Journalistic freedoms taken in that article. Thought it was funny that Ringo was the only one that liked riding in the boat. The "Titanic moment" through the hatch was pretty cheesy too, but heck I guess I would have been just as excited to have been on it also!

But still cool to get up at 6am on Sunday morning and see #16 on the local news!

Cheers,

Dave
Old 02-25-2014, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

Both the article and the ABC segment was done by the same guy...Terry Tomalin who wrote for Powerboat magazine. So it was a little surprising that he did make those mistakes with the history of the brand.

The boat looked better than it ever did when it was new. The DiNisco family has done an outstanding job with this restoration. After Terry and the cameraman left we took the boat for a quick ride over to St Petersburg for lunch and I was privileged to drive the boat, it is amazing that it over 50 years old and can run that quick.

It was really cutting edge when it first showed up in 1963. Sportsfisherman style was the type of offshore racers used by most of the Miami to Nassau races. On the way back, the DiNisco's allowed the son of the former owner Mark Peroni drive and he used all of those 409 cu inches.

It was a great day on the water.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Dave,

All is well here! How's the 24?

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
Hi Artie!!

Hope all is well with you!

Yeah lots of little interesting bits of Journalistic freedoms taken in that article. Thought it was funny that Ringo was the only one that liked riding in the boat. The "Titanic moment" through the hatch was pretty cheesy too, but heck I guess I would have been just as excited to have been on it also!

But still cool to get up at 6am on Sunday morning and see #16 on the local news!

Cheers,

Dave
Old 02-25-2014, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Very, very cool!! Great Video.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interestingly enough...despite all the labeling on the boat and the hats...no one mentioned that this was in fact the first "Formula 233"!!...Not a Cigarette!!

This is the boat that was the Genesis of Offshore Powerboating as we know it today.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Sprink - right on - In King of Thunderboat Row there is a picture of the 1st production Formula 233 - the name: Genesis
Old 03-23-2014, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 632 Likes on 292 Posts

http://youtu.be/H9tuaULpK2E

http://issuu.com/offshoreevents/docs/alegend/1

Last edited by larslindroth; 03-23-2014 at 10:34 PM.