Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock. >

What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.

Notices

What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

30 velocity, 32 hustler

Sutphens are pretty fast too.
The following users liked this post:
Twin O/B Sonic (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
Joe was it doc Larry Vandamen boat? It looked ruff back around 1989 but it was fast. There was one more Executioner on Lake St Clair that needed lots of work, a friend of mine Terry bought it & now has it in restoration. I was going to buy it but thats when I found my Magnum sport so I passed it on to Terry. Terry is the guy who had the P-111 LaSalle 29' Mirage that Dave Bass now has. Mark
I don't know who Charlie bought if from. It is unlikely one boat saw that much action. One thing is for sure, it was ridden hard before Charlie had it and extra hard while he had it. Still a cool boat and at the time it was FAST!
Old 03-01-2014, 07:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
Stephen,

As stated many times before, that action picture of your father in Hairy Canary says it all and just looking at the attitude of the hull flying above the water with
very little wetted surface it had to be dialed in perfectly!.......Did your father have to compensate with any ballast up front because of the heavier BB's to stern?
Did the BB's through the CG off at all?...............I can't see SB's pushing a 27' sport up and out of the water like that.......must have had tremendous torque!
Excellent question about CG/attitude. Once you were above 80 mph that boat flew straight. We used to sit in the Ocean in the late 80's and early 90's off the Washington Avenue Beach in Margate waiting for the boats to come so we could race as many people as possible, usually running north, but we weren't picky we ran south too. That boat did nothing squirrelly, flew staright and level, and were typically racing 38' Cigs, 38' and 40' Fountains, 41' Apaces.

Torque, that boat was a beast on acceleration, many races were over form the 50 mph and 60 mph starts, because we pulled so many boat lengths on the acceleration the other boat gave up. Some times after a race the other boater would say "I run 90 mph, or 88 mph." I would be an obnoxious bastard call bull**** and say on the f*cking trailer maybe, but we did race an Velocity who claimed to run 82-85 mph, and claimed we just plan out accelerated him, so the torque, was a huge factor, which made the boat a beast. My father before he died, firmly believed that the motors in the 82-85 mph 27' Magnum would have made the 34' Phantom 95 mph.

I would like to have that Magnum back, that plus my 13' and 15' Boston Whalers were my favorite boats, just fun to drive.

Stephen

PS I love that 29" Mirage "Wolverine". I saw race when i was younger. I am 48 years old.AND

Frank Kerbeck (owner of the 41' Apache Island Runner) had a 31' Foutain/Bill Farmer Excalibur Executioner, just like the one in the Powerboat Mag picture in this thread, and used to kick the sh*t out of alot boats when I was teenager sitting on the beach watching every Sunday. That 31' was one good boat at that time.

Last edited by Smarty; 03-03-2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-01-2014, 08:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

Smarty, the magnum has been sitting on Princeton ave in brick uncovered ( just cockpit cover) for a while, it hasn't been in the water for a couple of years. Maybe you should go knock on the door and see if the owner is looking to sell . The boat is only going to get f-cked up sitting the way it is.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Stephen,

so no ballast needed?..............I'd love to check out the HC if it's still sitting on princeton ave. Wonder if it still has the same power and drives your father built?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:06 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got some figures from Roger and Billy...will post later for Bounty Hunter, Jolly Roger, and his 31 ft. spirit
Old 03-02-2014, 08:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by scippy
Stephen,

so no ballast needed?..............I'd love to check out the HC if it's still sitting on princeton ave. Wonder if it still has the same power and drives your father built?

No Ballast, the anchor stored in the bow, and cooler full of beer, soda, and WaWa hoagies were the only weight added in the cabin.

I last spoke with the current owner three of four years ago, I forget what he said need to be done, but all the power and drives were the same.

Last edited by Smarty; 03-03-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-2014, 08:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by cig28
Smarty, the magnum has been sitting on Princeton ave in brick uncovered ( just cockpit cover) for a while, it hasn't been in the water for a couple of years. Maybe you should go knock on the door and see if the owner is looking to sell . The boat is only going to get f-cked up sitting the way it is.
I have seen it when I go to court in Brick and Pt. Pleasant. We kept the Magnum in the garage (18-19 years), as did Mr. D' Ambrosia (Arnold's Yacht Basin) when he had (it was without power at that time). Without a full cover or stored in garage boats will deteroriate.

The owner is a really nice guy, and he liked that boat as a kid, found out where to contact my father and bought it from my father, so that Magnum is special to him, as it is to me. I have not spoken with him in a few years, I hope he is well.

A picture of it at the old house, when my father first put it back together, and picture from Sharkey at the current address today on Princeton Ave.

pictures are always good in a thread, help tell the story...
Attached Thumbnails What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.-27-magnum-sport-i-medium-.jpg   What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.-hairycanarytoday.jpg  

Last edited by Smarty; 03-03-2014 at 03:11 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-02-2014, 08:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

The Hustler was definitely fast. In 1988 or 1989 Fountain had a 36/38 come from the factory (I don't belive it came with 420's and was repowered but I could be wrong) with a set of 622 cu.in motors/estimated 900 hp (Ferrara out of NY built the motors) and #3 drives that came to south jersey, the boat was named Precious Metals, that one one bad boat. I was told it ran in the mid 100's (100-109mph) but I never really did know, it was a good looking and fast boat, that Bill Hargrove owned (he was the second owner).

Last edited by Smarty; 03-03-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by cyrus77
I was wondering what some of the fastest old-school boats out there. how fast where they stock? Say pre-1990 and older.
Cheers.

Now I think about it,with that key word STOCK in mind, Chris-Cats were made with the 540 cu.in/575 hp MerCruiser "Bulldog" package back in the day, with #3's and or #4's drives, and that was a stock powered pleasure boat. Now that was a another cool boat in its day.

Last edited by Smarty; 03-03-2014 at 01:43 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.