Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
What kind of RPM does your motor or motors idle at? >

What kind of RPM does your motor or motors idle at?

Notices

What kind of RPM does your motor or motors idle at?

Old 11-26-2014, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxxxxx1
Hi Billy Boats,
Thanks for your suggestion on idle. Wow, I am hearing a lot of variation on idle, I thought it would just stall at 600 rps's, but I will try it out today and see.
I will try adjusting the idle lower and see how it behaves.

Also my throttles retract automatically to idle unless I keep my hands on the throttles. No hands free cruising here.
I assume this retracting throttle is a typical true race boat application.
Retracting automatically? That sound really annoying, do you have big return springs or something? Never ran a boat that I had to hold pressure on the throttles..
Old 11-26-2014, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxxxxx1
Hi Billy Boats,
Thanks for your suggestion on idle. Wow, I am hearing a lot of variation on idle, I thought it would just stall at 600 rps's, but I will try it out today and see.
I will try adjusting the idle lower and see how it behaves.

Also my throttles retract automatically to idle unless I keep my hands on the throttles. No hands free cruising here.
I assume this retracting throttle is a typical true race boat application.

Do you have the stock ignition modules? Or the six cylinder ones? 6cyl ones will idle better with more base timing.

Last edited by 14 apache; 11-27-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

About 650 rpm when warmed up
Old 11-27-2014, 09:04 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
Do you have the stock ignition modules? Or the six cylinder ones? 6cyl ones will idle better with more base timing.
I have the stock ignition modules. the 8 cylinders. Looking forward to dialing this in,..that is an interesting suggestion.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:11 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
Retracting automatically? That sound really annoying, do you have big return springs or something? Never ran a boat that I had to hold pressure on the throttles..
Hi Mr Maine,

Yes, it has return springs on the carbs, I thought about removing the springs though I am used to it now over time. It does make slow speed maneuvering easier, don't need to worry about the throttles being anywhere if you are in a sudden maneuver..... but the other 95 % of the other time it takes a little getting used to. I kinda like it this way because it is something different , as I have never had this set up on any other boat before.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:57 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by billy boats
Disconnect your throttle cables from the carbs before trying to tune
Back off your primary and secondary idle screwS so the throttles plates are fully closed crack the rear plates open 1/4 turn and front 1/2 turn. Turn all idle mixture screws all the way in and the back out 1 1/2 turns. Start the engine and adjust the front only to get idle around 700. If you need to turn primary idle in any more than another half turn to get idle try giving secondary idle another 1/4 turn.
Once you have idle at 700 adjust your mixture screws 1/8 turn at a time. Turn screws out until the idle stops going up then back in 1/8 turn. Make sure all 4 corners are adjusted the same.
Now reset your primary idle to 700-800 in nuetral. In gear should be 600-700

Thanks Billy Boats for your time on giving a detailed description on the "how to" of idle setting. I am looking forward to making the adjustments.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I run some pretty rough cams in my big blocks. Try to keep it around 800 so it don't destroy the transmissions or outdrives (depending what boat its in) when shifting in gear.