Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
KAAMA Scarab scale model >

KAAMA Scarab scale model

Notices

KAAMA Scarab scale model

Old 12-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a picture of the cockpit dash area from the 1978 Scarab.PM me your e mail & will send it.

Rich
Old 12-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Betty had two boats with that name. The first boat was a 36 foot Cigarette that used to be Dante's Inferno.

The second boat, was a Larry Smith Scarab that 38 feet long. If you contact Archer Marine out in Costa Mesa Calif, they should have the early drawings of the Scarab.

As noted by someone else, the windscreen is flat not pointed. The hatches come up to the back of the bolster almost, there was not much room behind the bolster as shown in your model.

Betty was the one on the starboard side of the boat, the right side looking forward, John Conners was in the middle and whatever navigator she was using for the specific race was on the port side.

In the photos the color looks red, but was actually international orange. When photographed, it turned out to look as you see it...red.

The walkways on the deck beyond the cockpit did not have that turnout, but ran straight all the way back to the end of the deck.

Good luck with the project. More photos of Betty on HORBA www.historicraceboats.com
Thanks Top Banana. Exactly what you noticed about the windshield and the walkway on the side is what is wrong with this hull from Dumas that I have. From what I found out, I think the hull I have is from an S class Scarab which is a different model boat altogether. Dumas did make a larger boat which more exactly resembles the 38 foot boat, but it's not made anymore and hard to come by. Soooo..... all I can do is make mine close. I though the photos of the day would have changed the color some. I did see the photos on HORBA. Been searching and searching for whatever photos I can come up. Was the Top Banana boat yours?

Have to get in touch with sbracing as he said he has some pics of the dashboard area.

Last edited by Ken_NJ; 12-23-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken_NJ
Thanks Top Banana. Exactly what you noticed about the windshield and the walkway on the side is what is wrong with this hull from Dumas that I have. From what I found out, I think the hull I have is from an S class Scarab which is a different model boat altogether. Dumas did make a larger boat which more exactly resembles the 38 foot boat, but it's not made anymore and hard to come by. Soooo..... all I can do is make mine close. I though the photos of the day would have changed the color some. I did see the photos on HORBA. Been searching and searching for whatever photos I can come up. Was the Top Banana boat yours?

Have to get in touch with sbracing as he said he has some pics of the dasboard area.
There may be more KAAMA photos on my banana boat co website. www.bananaboatco.com. Yes, the Top Banana was my race boat. Same name for my 24 footer and my 38 footer. If you run into a dead end, I have John Conners contact info. He may have some close up photos of the dash area.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:31 PM
Registered

I'll have to look through my photos. I have lots of Benihana pics when the boats were running from Point Pleasant. I have about 20 scanned, I'll put them on Photobucket and post them here. I would go out in my 19 footer and watch the boats pass by off of Belmar. And check the boats out at the old Kings Grant Inn or down in Pt Pleasant.

Besides the dash, you now have me sidetracked on the red color. Hope you don't mind helping out. I started with red since that's what the old photos looked like. Here I have the red sprayed on a white base and a red sprayed on a black base. Gives different results. Everyone I ask says use the red on white base.

But I have this can of Krylon safety orange. Any of these close to the color it should be?

Last edited by Ken_NJ; 12-23-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:49 PM
Registered

Got some more painting done. I cannot attached pictures so Photobucket will have to do.

Another thing wrong with this boat is the bow deck, I removed the hatches but left this raised section alone.

Here you can see the vinyl mask I used for the bow design. Removing the simulated hatch made it easier to apply this mask.

And painted, except for the red or orange heart near the bow. Have to get that red or orange color somewhat close!

And the Scarab graphic. Still have to wet sand the graphics out to clean up the edges.

Last edited by Ken_NJ; 12-23-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Here are a couple 55" Dumas Scarab's for sale

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/tag/4787780351.html

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/for/4774094158.html (this guy wont ship, but Im sure a good brother from OSO would pick it up and ship it to you)

http://nh.craigslist.org/tag/4808647307.html
Old 12-23-2014, 08:58 PM
Registered

That second one is a half hour from me, jerseyhore, Long Branch. That hull is 55"" and too big for me to transport, won't fit in my car. The hull I have was given to me and is only 45", much better to handle. Thanks for looking them up.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ken_NJ
I'll have to look through my photos. I have lots of Benihana pics when the boats were running from Point Pleasant. I have about 20 scanned, I'll put them on Photobucket and post them here. I would go out in my 19 footer and watch the boats pass by off of Belmar. And check the boats out at the old Kings Grant Inn or down in Pt Pleasant.

Besides the dash, you now have me sidetracked on the red color. Hope you don't mind helping out. I started with red since that's what the old photos looked like. Here I have the red sprayed on a white base and a red sprayed on a black base. Gives different results. Everyone I ask says use the red on white base.

But I have this can of Krylon safety orange. Any of these close to the color it should be?

Ken

The actual color was Orange. I had a friend who was a Formula 1 driver back in the 70's for McLaren and they had the same problem with the colors for the sponsor...Marlboro. If you look at a pack of cigarettes from Marlboro the color is obviously red, but the photographs would make the color look maroon. Their solution was to use International Orange to paint the cars. When the photos were developed the color matched the boxes of cigarettes perfectly.

That was not the case with Betty. Her colors were orange and black and white. Her uniforms, truck, bolster, logos, and artwork had orange in them. On my website there is a section on Media, look in there and scroll down. We had an article written about us by Sports Illustrated, Betty and me when we raced in Miami one year. After that race we were tied for first place in points. There is an overhead shot of her boat so you can see that the bright orange helmets and lifejackets match perfectly the bolster, hatches and deck design....all orange.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:51 PM
Registered

Also look in the photo section here on Offshore Only, by Lucidee. She is a big Betty fan and has a lot of photos that might be helpful to you.

On the HORBA site go to Shop Online section and open it. We used a real design from Betty when we made those shirts ...........as you can clearly see in the colors there the liberal use of orange.

Last edited by Top Banana; 12-23-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:07 PM
Registered

I sent PM to Lucidee. That overhead shot on your website really shows the difference between the real boat and my model. I agree the colors are all the same. I can get spray enamel that is international orange. You have me going on the right path! Thank you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.