Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Looking for Info on Old 1973 Cigarette 28SS Race Boat Possibly Named "El Diablo" >

Looking for Info on Old 1973 Cigarette 28SS Race Boat Possibly Named "El Diablo"

Notices

Looking for Info on Old 1973 Cigarette 28SS Race Boat Possibly Named "El Diablo"

Old 04-20-2015, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really cool h2o you have that. Cig28 it would be cool to see it restored to its racing heritage, $$ permitted. Not sure if that's possible. Possible meaning legally which I know nothing about. Great boat and neat to see what someone has not knowing it.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Cigarette_28SS
That must be quite an extensive collection. Thanks for taking the time to find them. What is the date and issue on that Powerboat Magazine? I'd like to see if I can find a copy of that issue. If you come across anything else on it, please post it as well.
I will look in my box of stuff for that Powerboat mag as I scanned that article some time ago. My problem is I did not just stop with offshore pic's & stories as I now own the 5 offshore boats listed in my avatar.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

----Its kind of rare when H20 doesn't have a picture of a raced boat, LOL!!!........Bill S
Old 04-22-2015, 06:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Feverz29
Really cool h2o you have that. Cig28 it would be cool to see it restored to its racing heritage, $$ permitted. Not sure if that's possible. Possible meaning legally which I know nothing about. Great boat and neat to see what someone has not knowing it.
I knew it had some kind of racing history from the PO, but I didn't know any details. Thanks to H2O, I have some details now. Pretty cool that it actually won a race that got national coverage.

Although I won't be able to convert it back to IO's and restore it exactly, I would like to redo it in a way that pays tribute to its racing history. That's why I'm looking for info on it.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by h2oboater
I will look in my box of stuff for that Powerboat mag as I scanned that article some time ago. My problem is I did not just stop with offshore pic's & stories as I now own the 5 offshore boats listed in my avatar.
I did notice all of the boats you have listed in your avatar, and I was thinking that it couldn't be right. I thought maybe it included boats owned past and present. I don't know how you find the time, money, and space to maintain all of them. I haven't been able to keep up with one. Now that's dedication. Thanks again for finding those images for me.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

lighten ur load and get off that ole x 18 brah
Old 02-16-2017, 06:45 PM
Registered

Hi, sorry this has taken so long, but here goes. This boat was named "El Diablo" and was purchased from Don Aronow from his factory, in 1974. The purchaser was a developer from Miami and developed housing projects in Kendale Lakes. Unfortunately, he lost everything due to a gigantic rise in interest rates, this included his boat. The boat was campaigned in 1974. It won the "Sport Class" at the Sam Griffith Memorial, the Nassau race (Red Crise), races in California, Atlantic City, NJ, and the Jockey Club race. The boat had extensive work done to the engines (350 cuin), waterjacked exhaust headers, over bored .030" and Volvo outdrives with speed master lower units and 4 bladed Radichi props. The boat never lost it's engines. That's a fairy tale. The new owners simply wanted outboards and re-worked the transom. The boat was incredibly fast and was piloted by the owners son, named "Bobby". As far as I know it was well maintained and never had a breakdown in a race. The son has since passed away as has the original owner. I last saw the boat in the Homestead Florida area, docked behind someones home. This was in 1975. The boat won 5 races and came in second in one.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:06 PM
Registered

Here is more info on El Diablo winning the Sam Griffith race in sport class.
I am the brother of the original owner. I know all about this boat and have entered a post as to it's origin. Contracted for with Don Aronow during Christmas of 1973. Delivered in February of 1974. After delivery the boat was taken to "Davney Marine" in South Miami, near SW152nd Street. The engines were yanked and completely blueprinted. Davney was owned by two ex-Farari mechanics, they upgraded engines for boats and cars.Tuned exhausts, cyls opened .030, heads milled to 13:1 comp ratio (Av gas), solid liters. dual 600 Holley double-pumpers on Edelbrock manifolds, etc. Chicken rails installed, bolsters, added compass. The boat ran in 6 races, winning 5, 2nd once. She was fast and very agile, easy to handle. The owners son (Bobby) was 17 at the time and drove in all races. The engines used Mobil-1 synthetic oil all the time. Never an engine failure. Beat Snapper Norris in his "Slap Shot" big boat in a fun run from Jockey Club to Ocean Reef. She did not run at Key West, Lake Michigan, or at San Francisco. Most exciting race was in 1974 Marina del Ray, raced out to and around, Catalina Island and return. Roughly 70 miles. The boat lost by 35 feet to a 32 Shiada with 2 454's, freight trained to one gear box and one prop shaft. They were both doing close to 90mph, the rest of the field was far behind. The owner was a developer who lost his shirt and lost the boat
also. His son, Bobby, was killed in Afghanastan, a Marine sniper. The owner died a few years ago. Anything else I can do for you?
Old 02-17-2017, 05:16 PM
Registered

Please look for my posts on this boat. I knew it well.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Former Champ
Please look for my posts on this boat. I knew it well.
I'm sorry to hear that your brother and nephew have passed away. Thank you very much for providing information on "El Diablo", after almost two years I had lost hope that I would find any more information on it. When I bought the boat in 1995 I figured that the previous owner was exaggerating it's racing history in an attempt to get more money for it. After I started this thread, I was surprised to hear that it won a race, and now even more surprised to hear how successful it really was. It's great to hear all those details about it. Do you have any old pictures of "El Diablo"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.