Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
20 years ago Matt Alcone went to Europe and won the Class 1 race in Arendal, Norway >

20 years ago Matt Alcone went to Europe and won the Class 1 race in Arendal, Norway

Notices

20 years ago Matt Alcone went to Europe and won the Class 1 race in Arendal, Norway

Old 09-17-2019, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 20 years ago Matt Alcone went to Europe and won the Class 1 race in Arendal, Norway

Back in 1999 Alcone Motorsports went to Europe as a guest entry in Class 1 for the two races in held Norway that year. Alcone & Gilbreath won the first round in Arendal and finished a respectable fourth in second leg in Oslo, watching this video made me realizse how great offshore racing was back in those days. youtube.com/watch?v=CFkbfixP-lc
Old 09-17-2019, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 889 Likes on 318 Posts

that was a while ago but it I remember correct we got 3rd in Oslo. we came in second in the kilo at both venues. the Arendal course was better for us as it had more sweeping turns and we did well out in the rough. the Oslo course had tight turns at each end and the European Class one boats all ran transmissions so they could down shift and leave us out of the turns. we could catch them in the straight but damn those boats pull hard when the drop down a couple of gears. I was Matt's crew chief for all but his first year racing and we had a big time in Norway. beautiful country, great people and great fans. glad we went and had a chance to race the worlds best and show them we could run with them.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
that was a while ago but it I remember correct we got 3rd in Oslo. we came in second in the kilo at both venues. the Arendal course was better for us as it had more sweeping turns and we did well out in the rough. the Oslo course had tight turns at each end and the European Class one boats all ran transmissions so they could down shift and leave us out of the turns. we could catch them in the straight but damn those boats pull hard when the drop down a couple of gears. I was Matt's crew chief for all but his first year racing and we had a big time in Norway. beautiful country, great people and great fans. glad we went and had a chance to race the worlds best and show them we could run with them.
Yep, it wasn`t yesterday. Alcone might very well have finished 3rd in Oslo but they took a dominating victory in Arendal and showed great speed in both events. The transmissions on the regular UIM Class 1 boats gave them a slight advantage over Alcone/Gilbreath, interestingly transmissions were banned from UIM Class 1 after the 2000 season. Really cool that you worked for Alcone, what is Matt Alcone up to these days?
The Kilo in Arendal 1999 was apparently the first and only time in UIM history were three different boats hit over 135 mph during a kilo run, the top 3 result were.
1.Victory Team 44, Saeed Al Tayer/Felix Serralles 259.68 km/h
2.US1, Matt Alcone/Jerry Gilbreath 255,16 km/h
3.Hyatt, Laith Pharaon/Edoardo Polli 253,29 km/h
Old 09-17-2019, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 889 Likes on 318 Posts

Have not talked to Matt in 5 or 6 years. last I talked to him he had semi retired and they built a house in Hawaii and were spending time between there and California. it was a great time in racing with out a doubt.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:21 PM
Registered

Here`s another great video showing the highlights of the 1998 Superboat season were they follows Matt Alcone and Johnny Tomlinson and others. youtube.com/watch?v=GNeOfrag6G0
Old 10-15-2019, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20 years ago Matt Alcone went to Europe and won the Class 1 race in Arendal Norway

There are a few minor things not correct on it, but it's a nice car. I'd be proud to drive it, and if those ventiport lights are timed to the ignition, that would look cool...
Old 10-15-2019, 07:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MarleneOrier
There are a few minor things not correct on it, but it's a nice car. I'd be proud to drive it, and if those ventiport lights are timed to the ignition, that would look cool...
Whut?