Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
What year did donzi move the helm from the left to the right side? >

What year did donzi move the helm from the left to the right side?

Notices

What year did donzi move the helm from the left to the right side?

Old 04-29-2015, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Im from baltimore! But after the last few days and the mayors post riot speech... i tell people im from cleveland
Old 04-29-2015, 11:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
Thanks Fast. This one was ... (wont say easy) not as hard as the others. The one part I hate the most though was that you have to remove the deck to get the gas tank out. First time I have ever had to do that. Sad part was the tank in it was only a couple years old (they cut the cockpit up to replace it) and it was trashed from them installing it with open cell foam. Wont happen ever again with my install. Should be good for another 40+ years if not more. Another sad thing is as many Donzi 16's and 18's as there is you still have to have the tanks custom made.
Iliveonanisland, all kidding aside, knowing what I know about these boats (small Donzi's) I wouldn't be to worried about what side the steering is on, the tank would be the first thing I would look at. My Nova takes 8 screws to pull up a deck plate to remove the gas tank. A Donzi .... well you saw.
ive drove 2 donzi 18s the x18 my father bought and another 18 2+3 i bought from a guy on oso, my dads ran like it was on rails, straight as a pin and i could launch it wide open of huge waves, the second i bought here on oso was the worst handling pos ive ever driven, i flipped it a few weeks after i bought it...
¡ also owned a 21 hornet with 454 trs that rode out sweet as could be... i think someone re rigged the 18 i bought here but it was a miserable ride...

cool vid nice resto, what r you asking for ur 18

Last edited by iliveonanisland; 04-29-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You all missed the INTRIGUE. Jim Wynne was tied up with with Volvo, and he and Walt put the helms on the left because Merc only turned righthand. Both the Volvo and the Eaton C piece of chit turned lefthand. This kept us from using Mercs, and fattened JW's wallet a little. In addition, Mr. K would not sell us anything because we smelled of JW. Mr. K would have shat (not shot) himself if he know that Charlie Strang had invented the Volvo drive.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland

cool vid nice resto, what r you asking for ur 18
Around 13
Old 04-30-2015, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
You all missed the INTRIGUE. Jim Wynne was tied up with with Volvo, and he and Walt put the helms on the left because Merc only turned righthand. Both the Volvo and the Eaton C piece of chit turned lefthand. This kept us from using Mercs, and fattened JW's wallet a little. In addition, Mr. K would not sell us anything because we smelled of JW. Mr. K would have shat (not shot) himself if he know that Charlie Strang had invented the Volvo drive.
Merc stole their design from Volvo anyway.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BROWNIE

wow u aint kidding Brownie... here is an awesome read!

http://www.quincylooperracing.us/subpage84.html

brownie can u tell us why mr k left the company he founded and why it was renamed? Thx a bunch cool schtuff

Last edited by iliveonanisland; 05-03-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link ilive. That was a great read.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Great Thread! I'm liking these Donzi's more and more as read into them. I'm in Baltimore well Harford County. But yea if anybody ask I'm no where near Baltimore! Great looking boat you have sir!
Old 06-07-2015, 07:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS
Great Thread! I'm liking these Donzi's more and more as read into them. I'm in Baltimore well Harford County. But yea if anybody ask I'm no where near Baltimore! Great looking boat you have sir!
Donzis would not be a good lake boat too deep a vee
Old 06-08-2015, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland
Donzis would not be a good lake boat too deep a vee
Good thing im on the Chesapeake! I'm sure the 22' would do well?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.