Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
That's an ASD16... #2,000 lbs with the trim and steering cylinders
---And capable of handling the 4500 HP from the Lycoming TF-40

Old 04-19-2016, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's a great video! I've never seen it before Thanks for posting.

Gentry eagle vid.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:28 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Redman
---And capable of handling the 4500 HP from the Lycoming TF-40

And 16,500 ft/lbs of input torque
Old 04-27-2016, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rik
I'm checking in from down under in Australia, have a budget project under way (well picked up tools in weekend) with installing Arneson ASD 17.20/17.22 (bronze) inline setup into ski boat 21 ft
Previously the boat as far as I can make out started life as 26 ft and was cut down and sides lowered, end result is 21 ft x 7.5ft at rear.
The boat was racing some years ago with outboard, and then was being groomed for a leg and that's when I purchased it. My choice of power will be 556 ci BBC, Daytona crash gearbox mated to the Arneson 17.20 drive, with K-planes . The good news is have all the running gear.

Having taken off the outer pod in weekend wanted to measure the transom angle, which is close to 20 degrees
The question I have relates to the transom setup, (bearing in mind I have no manual, or setup template)
1. Can I keep the 20 degree transom angle and use a wedge to bring the transom back to 12 degrees which is what I have heard to be the desired angle?
2. If wedge cant be used to adjust the angle of ASD mounting then I suppose I have to do some massaging of the transom to get the desired 12 degree transom angle.
3. if the wedge will work then I could fill in the transom lower section so that the drive sits on similar plane as rams
4. I planning on cutting down the centre keel a little to get the motor as low as possible, however not sure whether this would be sufficient to get correct alignment and may need a Z drive, of dropbox to help to get motor aligned
I uploaded some photos of transom
My boat is a little smaller than majority of this forum
The technical stuff is great on offshore only,
before removing pod: https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...rYoa7PVqA7edxM
after removing pod: https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...f__NrgSQtS-B_n
top view of transom: https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...sheCjAwL4YZ-a4

cheers
Brett
Old 04-27-2016, 11:21 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Brett, yes you’re going to need a 7-8-degree wedge made where the drive socket mounts to the transom to bring down the effective mounting angle to 12-13 degrees. You only have to make the wedge for the socket housing mounting not the cylinders as they do not care and they do not affect the installed engine angle.

#3 concerns me as I cannot see anything in your photo links.. What are you going to fill in? Is the transom notched?

#4.. YES you’re going to need some sort of drop box or Z box. Originally when we made these drives we didn’t have an external drop box so we used a “V Drive” to handle this. Helps keep the engine at the farthest rear mounting as possible for CG. Then on the larger boat, we had Casale make a Z box and mounted it internally. The boat was large enough that the engine placement wasn’t a concern as it was a stagger install.

Unless you’ve got boat loads of torque you’re going to best served with some reduction ratio to increase the torque and also slow the propeller rpm down to the point where you can find a propeller as finding a 15” X 17” propeller isn’t as easy as once was.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rik

thanks for your reply, I was a little worried there, that I would have had to rip out the transom, so wedge is best option...cool got that covered

The ASD needs to be mounted low on the hull and as you can see I have a step, so assuming this needs to be filled, I made some comments on attached photo
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...ixXeLlXOtsww0d

Is the template for setting up 17.20 the same as ASD 6 with the difference being the drive socket mounts?
I was hoping to run the inline ASD as is, however the drive need to be mounted on the transom, and pending clearance issue decision to use drop/Z of V drive to position motor

I have a few props sitting around, all 3 blades: :RH: 16.5"x25", 16.5:x27", 18"x18" and LH: 17.5"x28", 17.5"x ?
I noticed that in the selection of ASD 17.21 there were ration from 0.98-1.58
Therefore will need to get some help on calculating the ratios to use on the dropbox, Im assuming 30% would be too much to start with?
Were the Casale Z made for Arneson the standard box or modified?

seems I need to get tape measure out and calculator and see how the centre lines all match before doing much more
Old 04-28-2016, 01:32 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

For some reason I cannot view the photos on my computer. Says it's an invalid link??

If there's a notch then it's going to need some attention on a single engine boat.

As far are reduction, 30% under is fine.

The Z Box was something that Casale made that we installed after the transmission. We ran counter rotating engines so the boxes were just two gears.

Pitch.. Run them all and see what it likes.