Default Baron

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555908[/ATTACH]

Merc's
Attached Thumbnails Old Bertram Race Boat-baron3.jpg  
Old 05-25-2016, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Biff
I drive by "The Bike Shop" everyday...I take the Winchester exit off the 15N everyday also. Temecula is nice, but boating out here sucks...I need to move.
Hey, I'm in Wildomar! I boat in that big blue lake about an hour or so west of here, called the Pacific!

Do yo have a boat now? Where is the Bertram located?
Old 05-25-2016, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello Baja Fresh!

Wildomar, just up the road!

I have a small boat now, 16'. I took it our 1 time on Lake Elsinore and feared for my life because of the idiots on jet skis and people that shouldn't be driving boats.
The Bertram is located in Temecula, out in the wine country. The owner has had the boat since the 70's. I know he purchased it in New Port Beach. He used to run it to Catalina on weekends. It has sat on it's trailer for more than 20 years now. It is covered, but has been sitting outside. I was in it 1 time about 10 years ago and saw the motors (I think they were dual quad set ups) I remember it had a 3 man bolster set up and I think the windshield was replaced with a fairing. I could be wrong, but I think it may have had a race number on it also. I plan to stop by and see him this weekend.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Wine country hasnt become condo country??
Old 05-25-2016, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

They are trying, but have not ruined it yet.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Biff
Hello Baja Fresh!

Wildomar, just up the road!

I have a small boat now, 16'. I took it our 1 time on Lake Elsinore and feared for my life because of the idiots on jet skis and people that shouldn't be driving boats.
The Bertram is located in Temecula, out in the wine country. The owner has had the boat since the 70's. I know he purchased it in New Port Beach. He used to run it to Catalina on weekends. It has sat on it's trailer for more than 20 years now. It is covered, but has been sitting outside. I was in it 1 time about 10 years ago and saw the motors (I think they were dual quad set ups) I remember it had a 3 man bolster set up and I think the windshield was replaced with a fairing. I could be wrong, but I think it may have had a race number on it also. I plan to stop by and see him this weekend.
I usually only go to "Smell Somore" after running in the ocean and want to flush out the motors and dunk the trailer!

Sounds like a cool project. Hopefully the cover kept water out of it. I might have some concerns about the hull after sitting on the trailer so long. I guess it depends on the bunk configuration and if there was enough support.

I'd be happy to take a look at it for you. Remember, sometimes a free boat is the most expensive one you can get!
Old 05-28-2016, 01:30 AM
Registered

Received 635 Likes on 293 Posts

The Bertram 28 Baron was produced in more numbers than most people are aware of. They're very narrow beam and have a 26 degree transom. One friend of mine has run his 1975 Larry Smith Team Scarab 9 Meter against his friend's Baron since the 70's and their opinion is that the Baron got the edge by far over the Scarab in the rough. The Scarab is only 23 degrees at the transom and is a little wider. However in light chop the Scarab is of course the faster boat, equal power. Hope this Baron in the wine country has aged well.
No photo of the specific Baron 28, but a small article with specs: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...tram-baron.pdf
Old 06-09-2016, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a little link that may be of passing interest regarding a restoration recently.

http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/ph...6#.V1nSnFfuuuQ
Old 06-10-2016, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

----Lars is correct. Never a lot of Baron 28s built but the numbers are probably more in the 30s. I see black drives in the one picture. That usually means early Merc 6 cylinders. If they happen to be re-painted Volvos then the boat will have small block Fords, possibly Holman-Moody. I spent every day of the summer 3 years running on a red 28 off of Cape Cod that a rich buddies Dad bought for him. The boat was extremely sea worthy but also as Lars stated not the fastest. The Volvo drives had no trim and I wonder today how trim would have affected the speed of the boat........Bill S