Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cobalt
New Cobalt 282 with twin 496mag HO's!!! >

New Cobalt 282 with twin 496mag HO's!!!

Notices

New Cobalt 282 with twin 496mag HO's!!!

Old 08-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Cobalt 282 with twin 496mag HO's!!!

Just bought a Cobalt 282 with twin 496mag HO's with B3's and X drives!!! Captains Call too. New to this board and was glad to see the Cobalt section. Have had two 272 Baja's and loved them. Married and kids now and wanted a bigger boat that would still get up and go. Couldn't believe it when I found this package.

Any Oklahoma lakers?
Old 08-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Float200
Just bought a Cobalt 282 with twin 496mag HO's with B3's and X drives!!! Captains Call too. New to this board and was glad to see the Cobalt section. Have had two 272 Baja's and loved them. Married and kids now and wanted a bigger boat that would still get up and go. Couldn't believe it when I found this package.

Any Oklahoma lakers?
Congrats on the 282! Cobalts are great. We boat on Grand Lake and run around in a 262 when not in the Cig. Lots of Cobalts in OK especially on Grand.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Registered

Hey sounds like two winner boats! If I head up that way...which I will....I will inquire for more info from you. Looking at property for next year at Grand...staying in Paradise Cove for a late August wknd...then looking on Tinkiller or Keystone?

Survey of boat just completed and a suggestion was made the prop pitch on all 4 props for the boat I bought in Tahoe at 6000ft elevation would cause the motors to work harder here in Oklahoma????? Is this true? Do I have to re-pitch the props for a lower elevation to ensure my motors are not over stressed?
Old 08-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Registered

Hey congrats on the boat. What will that run WOT??? My dad has a 282 with a single 496 mag HO and it runs right at 60 MPH. Let me know I am very interested to see how fast this boat is with twins.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Float200;2930875]Hey sounds like two winner boats! If I head up that way...which I will....I will inquire for more info from you. Looking at property for next year at Grand...staying in Paradise Cove for a late August wknd...then looking on Tinkiller or Keystone?

Survey of boat just completed and a suggestion was made the prop pitch on all 4 props for the boat I bought in Tahoe at 6000ft elevation would cause the motors to work harder here in Oklahoma????? Is this true? Do I have to re-pitch the props for a lower elevation to ensure my motors are not over stressed?[/QUOTE]Call a cobalt dealer with your hull id number, They can look it up on the computer and tell you what size props came with the boat that you should be running. Also there should be a sticker on the engine that will tell you what your max rpms your engines can go up too, Then with a light load in side the boat you would find a set of props to get you as close to the max rpm you can out of it with out going over the rev limiter to much while trimming the drives up a little.

Last edited by Boat Tech; 08-20-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

My boat is finally getting loaded today and is expected to arrive Sunday!!!! I hope the boat will hit mid 70's and would really be excited if it would get into the upper 70's low 80's. Afterall, it has a 9' beam and is not a race boat.

Sent in all serial numbers, transom #'s, and drive #'s to cobalt. They got back to me with everything including props, gear ratios, and warranty info. Even got the factory options list of the boat and the purchase price of $145,000 when sold in Tahoe.

The engines have 1.81 gear ratios with 28 pitch props. It was said by seller to be over propped in Tahoe? Might be set up right for Oklahoma 630' elevation? Or, may have to get 30" props. 4600rpm - 5300rpm is my proper range I am told.

Thanks for help.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Float200
My boat is finally getting loaded today and is expected to arrive Sunday!!!! I hope the boat will hit mid 70's and would really be excited if it would get into the upper 70's low 80's. Afterall, it has a 9' beam and is not a race boat.

Sent in all serial numbers, transom #'s, and drive #'s to cobalt. They got back to me with everything including props, gear ratios, and warranty info. Even got the factory options list of the boat and the purchase price of $145,000 when sold in Tahoe.

The engines have 1.81 gear ratios with 28 pitch props. It was said by seller to be over propped in Tahoe? Might be set up right for Oklahoma 630' elevation? Or, may have to get 30" props. 4600rpm - 5300rpm is my proper range I am told.

Thanks for help.

That's great news! You'll love the Cobalt quality and you've already had a taste of the awesome folks at the factory.

I wouldn't get your hopes wrapped up too much regarding speed numbers. Just enjoy the quality and the ride!
Old 08-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Registered

You will love it! Cobalt is in their own class. Just the way everything is set up and the ride is completely amazing. I really wanted their 343 model with twin 525's but it was a little out of my price range. I would think you would hit right at 70. I hope you see mid 70's out of it, but that is such a heavy and deep boat. My dad's 282 with a single HO weighs almost as much as my 33' Outlaw with twin HO's! I'm excited to hear the results after you test it out. Please keep us filled in!
Old 08-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Registered

MY COBALT 282 ARRIVED TODAY Aug 23rd 2009!!! Will definitely keep you posted on test numbers. Hope to be at Grand or Eufaula this Saturday. Will post pic in just a sec.

Float 200

Last edited by Float200; 08-24-2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: wanted to add picture
Old 08-31-2009, 10:15 AM
Registered

282 Twin 496mag HO's test data maiden voyage

Aug 30th 2009: 90 gallons fuel & 5 people

AMAZING!!!!!
* Pegged HARD the 70mph speedo tach everytime. No GPS, so I don't know how much faster past 70, but it got there so quick and was still accelerating, I estimate mid to high 70's. After 3/4 throttle(s), the rpms stopped climbing and held at 4900-5000rpms. This tells me our 28 pitch props need to be changed for another 3-4 mph at top end. This will put me at 80mph I think. The low end was mindblowing. How this big 9' beam and 8000lbs can effortlessly jump out of the water and feel so paperlight is beyond me. I did not expect the boat to feel so light in the water. These engines really do transform this boat into a screamer. It's my first twin engine boat and the thunderous loap of the motors echoing across the lake are truely a great experience!!!! Always wanted to be that guy The boat steps up on plane with very quick ease and the peformance with just a couple clicks of throttle is fast. I was always doing 47mph trying to cruise and go slow with just a couple clicks. With the speedo peeged past 70mph everytime, it became useless to try and trim out and better my speed runs.........but ofcourse I did!!!!!! I am confident this boat is a mid 70's to low 80's mph performer with the next prop size. Wish I could describe all this better. Truely amazing performance. Thanks Cobalt!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.