30' Concept Sport Deck >

30' Concept Sport Deck

Notices

30' Concept Sport Deck

Old 03-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30' Concept Sport Deck

I really like the looks of the 30 concept sport deck. I like the outboards for the reliability but I haven't heard much about this boat and nothing came up on my searches. Any opinions from owners? (Rigging, handling, build quality) How does this boat handle rough water and what kind of speed to expect with a pair of 300's on the back. Also I saw that the draft is only 16". The seems shallow for a performance but I'm not sure how shallow draft affects ride/rough water handling. Thanks in advance!
-Dream07

Last edited by BajaDream07; 03-14-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nAQJca_M44

First one or two had some handling issues in confused water (IIRC), however I think those issues have been resolved. Respected member Roger had one of the first ones so maybe he will chime in.

John Cosker of Mystic fame designed the hull.

Concept's are 100% wood free and the rigging is impeccable.

Bracket is included in overall length per Coast Guard regulations so keep that in mind when comparing to 30' I/O boats.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Registered

16" draft is without engines. 300XS are 517LBS IIRC and they have stand alone trim pumps and oil tanks plus rigging for both so add that in and you are looking at 1100ish more pounds.

http://conceptboats.com/30-sd-specifications.html

Length ( LOA )..........................30' 1"
Width........................................94"
Weight......................................4600 Lbs.
Draft.........................................16"
Gunnel Height..........................32"
Dead Rise................................44*
Fuel Capacity...........................150 Gal.
Max Outboard Rating...............600 HP
**Note Engine Weight not included

From boats.com, which seems more realistic:

Beam 7 ft 10 in
Max Draft 2 ft
Dry Weight 4600 lb
Hull Material Fiberglass
Hull Shape Deep Vee
Fuel Capacity 150 gal
Deadrise at Transom 24°

150 of fuel is another close to 1000LBS as well.

Draft is more about where you can go than performace. Outboards by design will allow you to go in shallower water than I/O's.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:57 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts

I was in one in Miami the last 2 years and in their plant when they were first bringing it into production.

On the construction side I was very impressed w/what I saw. Great looking glass work and attention to detail.
The boat/design itself was one of only two (twin O/B) boats I've seen, new that I liked enough to even tell the Mrs. about, the 30' Velocity being the other.
My only *****es were no sun lounge and lack of storage. As always I walked away knowing my ancient 24' Sonic had more storage and now the sun lounge.
The guy I talked to from Concept at the show made it sound like they would do what ever I asked them for so who knows.
I'm not a fan of step bottoms though.

I too heard the stories about the thing being ill handling out of the box but talked to a guy that had a used one for sale that ran great and he said as normal, "set up".
I think one of those w/a pair of 300 XS's and you'd have a killer, economical to operate, absolute blast to drive rig that no one else would.

I like them a lot though other than above.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 03-15-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=marylandmark;3641446]16" draft is without engines. 300XS are 517LBS IIRC and they have stand alone trim pumps and oil tanks plus rigging for both so add that in and you are looking at 1100ish more pounds.

A small correction on the 300XS's, the trim pumps are located on the motor itself,they are not stand alone, the Oil tank is very small holding only 3 gallons, the motor weighs 505lbs, depending on which lower end you go with, Torque Master or Speed Master.

You'll still be a few hundred pounds less than a pair Verados.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Groper
A small correction on the 300XS's, the trim pumps are located on the motor itself,they are not stand alone, the Oil tank is very small holding only 3 gallons, the motor weighs 505lbs, depending on which lower end you go with, Torque Master or Speed Master.

You'll still be a few hundred pounds less than a pair Verados.
Can you post some pics?

My 300XS's are from 2007, however there is no where near enough room under the cowling for a 3 gallon tank or a trim pump and certainly not both. I'm not doubting you, I'd just love to see how Mercury pulled that off?

I run XL lowers which come in at 517LBS:

http://www.mercuryracing.com/outboar...00xs/specs.php

I have a pint sized oil tank on the engine that is fed by the 3 gallon remote tanks. I had smaller (1.6 or 1.8 gallon?) tanks but had them replaced since with the 3 gallon ones.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Can you post some pics?

My 300XS's are from 2007, however there is no where near enough room under the cowling for a 3 gallon tank or a trim pump and certainly not both. I'm not doubting you, I'd just love to see how Mercury pulled that off?

I run XL lowers which come in at 517LBS:

http://www.mercuryracing.com/outboar...00xs/specs.php

I have a pint sized oil tank on the engine that is fed by the 3 gallon remote tanks. I had smaller (1.6 or 1.8 gallon?) tanks but had them replaced since with the 3 gallon ones.
I dont think he meant the trim pump was under the cowling, but rather at the trim section of the bracket like my 250. I do Agree that there is no way your getting a 3 gallon oil tank under the cowling, but again, I think he may have meant to say that the in boat oil tank is 3 gallons, I consider a 3 gallon tank as quite a bit of oil, especially if your using injection, and on an opti, that would last a while.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

There is a nice leftover at Tomes marine landing in MD for sale.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default I just put.....

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
I consider a 3 gallon tank as quite a bit of oil, especially if your using injection, and on an opti, that would last a while.
3 gal tanks in the Sonic for my carbed 250 HP 3.0 liter JohnRudes.
My old Sonic had the 1.8 gall tanks w/the same motors. Both boats hold 89 gls of fuel and I could run two tanks through it before refilling the oil tanks.
I don't have enough time on this one to be sure but I think I've run 3 tanks through w/the 3 gal tanks. What I do like about the bigger tanks is I don't feel the need to carry a spare gallon like in the old boat.
I kept thinking I'd get the perfect weekend on Lake Erie w/weather and everything running right that I'd need that 3rd tank of gas.
Never happened in 7 yrs
Best part was one trip across the lake I tried storing the spare oil jug in the anchor locker in the bow out of the way. Wrapped it in towels and what not but to no avail.
Smelled something and opened the aft seat cushions to check the bilge. An entire gallon of 2 stroke oil leaked from the ruptured jug, drained under the V berth and coated the entire bilge in oil.
Not fun.
The DI guys are claiming less than 50% of the oil consumption as standard 2 stroke.
One of the best things I did on this boat was mount remote oil fills.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Registered

Premix on mine, works great, 'til your in the keys buying fuel, and realize you left 2 gallons of oil back in the truck and gotta buy it from them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.