New to me 30' Concept >

New to me 30' Concept

Notices

New to me 30' Concept

Old 01-25-2014, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to me 30' Concept

I just took delivery of a 2001 Concept 30' w/2006 Optimax 225s. It formerly belonged to OSO member pete280. I previously owned a Velocity 260. We decided to go with the center console for two major reasons. The first being outboards. I needed something I can wrench on without cramming myself into an engine compartment. I have had 2 back surgeries since 2009, so I am very limited in what I can do. Bending down in an engine compartment isn't one of them.... The second reason is we (myself, wife, daughter, and 2 dogs) had outgrown the tiny cockpit associated with go-fast boats. I really like the deck space of a pontoon, but no way I could go from the sleek look and speed of a performance boat to a sluggish, ugly pontoon.. So the equal medium was obvious, A Concept center console. Pete had previously had his boat listed on boat trader (I remember seeing it listed a few months back). But he had pulled that ad. Then out of the blue, he posted a video of his boat out on the water during "a heat wave" (as he called it) on december 23 on the concept boats Facebook page. Well as it worked out, we had just sold our Velocity. We had planned on waiting a few months before purchasing our next boat, however Pete's Concept was the right boat at the right price. Most of the Concepts I have found for sale had the Mercury EFI motor, which I have read are gas hogs. This one had newer Opti's, which as most of you guys know are great on gas. Pete was a great seller, he answered every question I had. He provided a very accurate description (pointed out all of the flaws) and gave me pictures and even a few videos (a walk around of the boat, and of the motors running). After all of the communication, I felt very confident buying the boat without physically inspecting it. After all was said and done, I ended up having the boat transported from VA to MI for right around $800.00. Once the boat arrived here in lovely Michigan (so freaking cold..) I took the boat up to the car wash to spray it down (the water pretty much froze immediately). Then I took it to a friends shop to thaw out. The next day, Monday (MLK day), the boat was shrink wrapped and taken to a friends house for the rest of the winter. It is probably the coldest weather this boat has ever seen....... I have already put a long list of things I'd like to do ranging from installing a port-a-potty, to removing the current stripes and going with a more modern graphic, to putting together a killer stereo system, and some other minor things. This has been a hard, very cold winter so far here in Michigan, having a new boat is only going to make the winter feel longer. As soon as there is no longer ice in the Detroit River and Lake Erie, I will be out in our new toy. I put a few pics below showing the current condition. Pete told me he had new vinyl done in the cockpit in the 2013 summer. So that's all new and looks great!

I had posted in the Great Lakes Region area as well, but I figured the Concept section was appropriate along with a little more detail.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:48 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! Pete's Concept was a good deal. Saw the new vinyl this past summer, looked real good! You'll love the CC! My last boat was a Top Gun and I am really digging my CC. enjoy it.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 01-26-2014, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts

Gorgeous!

I like your thinking and that style of boat is very, very tough to beat for real world use. I've been through the Concept plant several times too and they build a nice boat.

Love the old school, classic lines on yours. Cigarette hull??

I think you'll really like the Opti Max's too. Great motors and about perfect for that hull. About the only issues I know of are air pumps but they are a bolt on w/no stress to the back. I say that as one w/back problems also.

I remember at the end of my Lake Erie boating, center consoles were just starting to show up. I looked seriously at "importing" them from down here to up there and flipping them. Told my brother they were the prefect day boat for up there.

For heading to the islands, beach, fishing, diving, partying, 4 of July fire works......., show me a better rig.

Congrats, I'm jealous.
Gary
Old 01-26-2014, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats on the new boat. I purchased a 30 concept with 225 optis this summer. Pete was helpful with my purchase also, nice guy. My family(wife and two daughters) absolutely love the boat. We get comments everywhere we go with it!
Old 01-31-2014, 05:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you like it, it's a fun boat, definitely a "drivers" boat but that's what makes it fun. I think you got a good deal, you caught me obsessed about going bigger so I wanted to sell, I have a bad habit of fixing them up and selling at a loss when I get bored, maybe a sign of ADD. The Opti's are great, you will be amazed on how they fire up after about a 1/2 second of turning the key, like I mentioned run the premium plus oil and you'll be fine, ppl say they love to be run hard, you can run for hours at 5700 rpm. As far as the air compressor just check the air compressor belt pulley periodically for any play, if you have any then replace the compressor before it fails, it's like $750.00

I think the only one crazier than me driving my new boat home 8 hrs with flooding rains and tornado warnings the whole way is you taking that boat to MI in sub zero temps! I was technically boat-less for 1 day, bought the new one the day after your check hit my account, went bigger and older and something in need of a update but I love my new boat so far, having trouble getting some vendors to call me back, trying to spend money!
Old 02-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Pete, congrats on your new purchase. If you need Yamaha assistance give us a call @ Allstar Marine. Contact David Anderson @ the marina 410-574-8281. Tell him you were contacted by Fred on OSO account. We are located in Baltimore, Maryland. Schedule is a little hectic right now with boat shows although i am sure we can give you a hand. We also have an excellent interior/canvas guy. He is top notch to say the least. In my opinion he can give notable canvas men like Fine Line a run for their money when it comes to cost and ability. Give us a shot.

Thanks Fred Brady
410-320-9220
Powerplay Sales
Old 02-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete280
I have a bad habit of fixing them up and selling at a loss when I get bored, maybe a sign of ADD...........

I think the only one crazier than me driving my new boat home 8 hrs with flooding rains and tornado warnings the whole way is you taking that boat to MI in sub zero temps!
I think you mean OCD???? Well at least that's what I suffer from. I can't seem to leave a boat alone until it is perfect and to my exact liking..... Once the weather breaks, it will be hard to recognize the boat as it sits today...... Which is why we are giving our new 30' Concept the name "O-SEA-D". And yes, it was very cold when the boat was delivered. I took it to the car wash to rinse the road grime off of it and the water was freezing on contact.....

Last edited by low_psi; 02-03-2014 at 10:09 AM.