Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302) >

Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)

Notices

Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)

Old 01-20-2003, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good Jon, I have been thinking about a similar project on mine as well....keep posting as you progress....Fred
Old 01-20-2003, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Jon as I said in the general post it looks great , someone in this thread suggested making it a bit taller ,may not be a bad idea. I'm taking my wind screen off this week for paint prep and I have a question. I have found the screws holding down the side skirts but I have two questions. Are there screws below the vent window opening and how many screws hold the front part of the screen down and some idea of location . I ask this about the front because the previous owner siliconed where the plastic trim strip was and I have no clue where to look for the screws and I would perfer not the distroy the wind screen because I am going to re-use it for now. Any help you could give me as always is greatly appreciated. Rick G.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it as is. I've done a couple very similar on a 31 and 38 Scarab. They were almst the exact same profile/height. On the 31, I used aluminum and painted it. Looked good and fairly easy to build and work with. The only welds were the 2 sides on to the front piece.
I also did one out of clear Lexan with a black aluminum U channel frame. Again, probably easier than a fiberglass one to build and it looks great.
More pics!
Gary
Old 01-20-2003, 04:21 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We are giving a lot of consideration to the wind in the face. HOWEVER the old windshield was at such a angle and height that it put the highest velocity of wind right in the middle of our faces (chart and myself). We have looked at a taller, and maybe steeper fairing, however we opted for this so far due to the fact that we are currently fallowing the lines up on the deck. This did make the windshield quite a bit steeper then stock, and also opened up the cockpit quite a bit, it now seems larger in the cockpit.

Also as has been mentioned we are going to go with a wind deflector on top. This will make the windshield seem a little taller even if we go with a clear one. We stopped by Outerlimits today to see what they were doing .

Rick G: As far as the window was mounted, there are obviously two ways that formula did this. One, the easier, and lucky for Chart the way his are, the window is held on with screws under the rubber molding. Just pull out the molding and you are set. If you have what I have then you better sit down as it was a pain (figures mine had to suck ). I had bolts that were under the frames and through the hull. This required me to pull down my head liner, take out my microwave, and it generally is sucked. There were a total of 6 across the front and 4 on each wing.

Chart also wanted me to mention that once you get the window free, by taking the wing and bending it out, or away from the center of the boat, you can get the window to slide and come apart at the seem to make it easier to take off the boat.

We will have lots more pictures this evening. Stay tuned
Old 01-20-2003, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks sharp Jon. If i were doing it i would try to stay with the same rack as on the boat, as you are doing, big decision on the material aluminum or glass i would think welding one up out of aluminum would be the easiest, that way you could weld flange for top and bottom and upholstrer the back side and cap off the top with upholstry and wouldnt have to lay up a mold unless you think your going to make more than one. But then i believe chart has a boat like yours so maybe thats the plan. Any way keep the project pictures coming and good luck. Will we be seeing ya this year at the lake?
Later
Dave
Old 01-20-2003, 10:29 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As you know Jon, the newer Formula windshields, Fastechs, puts the wind in your face. To bad, as it is the finest windshield in appearance and construction out there. The Lip treatment will address that problem. I want to put a lip on my small fairing, on my Activator. One of our OSO members, Jpclear, did a beautiful reverse fairing on his vintage Martini. It works great.
I would like to know more about the blue gauge panel. Is it aluminum? Is it anodized or powdercoated?
I like what I see so far on the Fairing. Looks good.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:50 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Chart here, using Jon's computer.

Sorry guys. Left the camera at the shop, so it will be tomarow(sp?) before we post any more pictures.

Yes, in the pictures, the faring does look shorter than it does in real life. Those who posted concerned about it, thank you. We took your suggestions and mocked up a moveable templet to try different heights, and decided that the one pictured was our favorite. A few people who stoped by the shop and saw it in person agreed the curent height works very well on the boat.

We drove to RI today and bought Nida-Core, a honey comb pannel with fiberglass laminated on the sides. Very strong, light, and COOL!! We got one wing cut out and clamped up. Tomarow(sp?) we'll grind, bond, cut, and probably cuss a little. Plan to have Jon's boat well under way by Wed when I fly home with the templates to start on my boat. Yes Later, we have the same boat, but differnt years, and the deck is slightly different also. Prevents us from making a standard mold, and forces us to make one-ups. But the windshilds themselves were the same part number, so the differences to the decks should not be huge.

Too Old, I KNEW you could not leave your mistress alone!! But sure, Jon will be VERY happy to make a faring for you!!!
Old 01-20-2003, 10:56 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Chart here again:

RLW: the reverse faring, do you mean that it leans forward at the top, away from the cockpit? Do you have any pictures of the boat with the faring on it? We are very concerned about the wind in the face, (meaning HER face) and welcome all ideas on deflecting lips for the faring as we don't have that one decided yet.

Jon's dash pannel is a plasic or accrilic(sp) material, about 3/8" thick.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:13 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally posted by RLW
As you know Jon, the newer Formula windshields, Fastechs, puts the wind in your face. To bad, as it is the finest windshield in appearance and construction out there. The Lip treatment will address that problem. I want to put a lip on my small fairing, on my Activator. One of our OSO members, Jpclear, did a beautiful reverse fairing on his vintage Martini. It works great.
I would like to know more about the blue gauge panel. Is it aluminum? Is it anodized or powdercoated?
I like what I see so far on the Fairing. Looks good.
The blue pannel is just black plexi that was painted. It probably looked good at some point in time but it is quite beat up now and broken. When I make the new one I will have to figure out what to do it out of this time.

Jon
Old 01-21-2003, 12:14 AM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll try to get JpClear to post a pic of his reverse fairing. It does lean forward away from the cockpit and is made out of a Lexan type material. His is curved which proved to be a challenge in fabricating.

Quick Reply: Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.