Notices

trim tab install

Old 04-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question trim tab install

how difficult is it to install tabs? seems simple enough, but i have a couple of questions.
when drilling through the transom do you use resin to seal the exposed core or a marine silicon (or both)?
what do you use behind the actual tabs, i am assuming a good marine silicone?
should i make some kind of backing plates for where everything is going to be mounted?
i am also looking at having them professionally done.... not sure which way i'm gonna go yet
thanks!
Old 04-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Registered

The biggest thing I can say about doing your own install is make sure you mount them high enough up the transom. I mounted mine by the specs. and I lost 3mph when they were in the full up position. I would look at the height of factory installed tabs on another boat and go with that. I even talked to Eddie Marine prior to the install and they thought I would be just fine installing them at the spec height.
I just used a marine silicone, that is all that was recomended. I did not use any backing plate, they come with stainless steel wood screws. I installed EDDIE MARINE TRIM TABS BILLET SPORT TAB
Model: 500-75B, they looked great and worked good too(other than being to low). I recommend indicators on the dash.
Good luck, i hoped I helped
Garrett
Old 04-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Registered

garrett,
i did get the dash mounted indicators, how did you mount yours?
also mine did not come with any mounting hardware...
thanks for the info
joe
Old 04-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Registered

trim tab install-500-78.jpg these are the ones i got
Old 04-06-2008, 01:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I did a set of tabs on a 45 Sonic. If I remember correctly, 3/4 inch fron the bottom edge of the hull. You want to keep the tabs out of the water flow when not needed. Use boat life caulk or 3m 101 sealant. DO NOT USE 5200 or silicone under the water line. Backing plates only if no wood is present..
Old 04-15-2008, 02:09 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those Eddiemarine tabs are the business! I fitted a set two seasons back. They are basically the same as the Dana and Livorsi versions. They move really fast. 4 seconds from up to full down!

1/2" above the trailing edge of the hull isnīt overdoing it.
Make sure you drill the holes accurately and 90^to the transom surface. I made a drilling template, which I have now passed aroung to all my buddies here who have since fitted the same.
Attached Thumbnails trim tab install-trimtabtemplate01.jpg   trim tab install-strake-wedge01.jpg  
Old 04-15-2008, 02:17 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I painted the insides of the drilled holes with bilge paint to seal them and used plenty of sealant when assembling. I backed the bolts up inside the transom with 1 1/2" billet stringer washers.

It is a good idea to run an earth wire from one of the bolts to the inner transom or a motor mount. That will help to protect from electrolytic corrosion taking place. Even on a weekend trailer boat, this can be an issue with the mixture of alloy and steel parts used.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Registered

great tips thanks alot!!
Old 04-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Just did mine,No big deal!!
I went 1" above the edge,pre drilled and sealed all holes with resin,thrue bolted them,picked up some above/below water caulk from west marine.just take your time
Attached Thumbnails trim tab install-picture-151.jpg   trim tab install-picture-149.jpg  
Old 04-17-2008, 05:32 AM
Registered

hey, Pantera28-650HP, just got everything from diamond performance, bill was a big help for me and excellent prices.
thanks alot though...
boatnt, i think my regular mechanics gonna take care of it for me your came out great though!!

Quick Reply: trim tab install

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.