Notices

"Make" Drive Indicators?

Old 11-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I moved drive indicators to old compass location for up front visability on my 1990 daytona
Old 11-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ttrm007
Thanks. I do think this is the idea. Now, the question is can I make this work with the parts I have? Check out the pics of this VERY OLD SCHOOL set on my boat now. I think the issue is the long travel. I'd have to make slots 8 or 9 inches long instead of the 3-4 on these fountains. How do the newer indicators have such a short throw?

You could also do a lever with an offset pivot point, final output from the lever would be reveresed but still doable. I can provide you the exact length of the lever and the pivot point required to convert lets say 9" of travel into 4" of output. Just let me know.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ttrm007
I assumed there are switches somewhere that control tilt and trim and these are just driven by cables to SHOW you where you are...not actually used to move the drives/tabs.

Right?
Yes, you assume right. switches on dash for tabs, and switch on throttle for drive. I took my old indicator that you see on the left in first pictures, and used part of the bracket from it to hold the cables (one from each tab, one from drive)in position, letting them stick up through a stainless steel plate I made. My original indicator had cracked glass, one missing position pointer, and two that were so faded you couldn't see them. Could not use that style indicator after re-doing my dash setup - cables not long enough to reach face of dash, plus I wanted them up high.
The original indicator set was backlit before, and I could have done something for that too, but I wanted to keep it simple so that it would not need maintenence......
Attached Thumbnails "Make" Drive Indicators?-27-cig-dash-feb-04-2.jpg   "Make" Drive Indicators?-cigt-27-redo-dash-2.jpg   "Make" Drive Indicators?-img_2154.jpg  

Last edited by Hang Time 27; 11-13-2008 at 03:07 PM.