cleaning eng oil coolers for new engines >

cleaning eng oil coolers for new engines

Notices

cleaning eng oil coolers for new engines

Old 06-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning eng oil coolers for new engines

im dressing my new engines and want to clean the lines and coolers,the way ive cleaned everything before was to flush them in the solvent/parts wash tank,,does this get them clean enough ??
Old 06-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Registered

What type of coolers?
Old 06-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Registered

oil coolers that mount in the bellhousing merc style
Old 06-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think a solvant tank could clean a cooler properly. To do it right the end caps need to come off. Solvant tank woulden't have enough pressure. I take all my coolers to a rad. shop. They take the ends off and re-braze them back on.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Registered

I just bought new bellhousing coolers from CP. After seeing the internal construction I think it would be very hard to flush theese things very well.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

If you are cleaning it because you trashed an engine I will tell you from experience to throw it in the trash can. I thought I cleaned one out after spinning a bearing, and the next engine lasted 10 hours. I tore the old one apart to see exactly how they are built. I like saving money just like the next guy but that is one area I would not skimp on. I also replaced all the hoses after my expensive lesson
Old 06-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
If you are cleaning it because you trashed an engine I will tell you from experience to throw it in the trash can. I thought I cleaned one out after spinning a bearing, and the next engine lasted 10 hours. I tore the old one apart to see exactly how they are built. I like saving money just like the next guy but that is one area I would not skimp on. I also replaced all the hoses after my expensive lesson
If you trashed an engine, throw the cooler away or take it to the scrap man and get your money for the copper. If the engines were OK when you tore them down, then you can clean them.

Good luck
Old 06-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
Same here, I spun a bearing last year and flushed my coolers, at the time I did not know how they were on the inside, well... 1 hr on new engine and a spun bearing due to crap going through the engine, i fould a couple things it could have been, the cooler is one of them.

I agree, if the engine did not have anything in oil the cooler should be flushable, if it had crap in oil, toss it.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Here is a pic of the small inners, I tried the best i could, they are like little 1/8 inch honeycombs, never get them cleaned out..

Old 06-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
take it to the scrap man and get your money for the copper.
Good luck
Great now the Meth Heads will be stealing oil coolers for copper. We just got our water back on at our dock because they cut six feet of copper pipe from the shore to the docks.

Quick Reply: cleaning eng oil coolers for new engines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.