Notices

Upgrade 454

Old 09-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by formula31
All the manifold manufacturers list a height (if you call them) and the torker 2 is the lowest ( I think it was originally made to fit under the hood of a vet). I dont think they have a quad version but im not sure. I could never make my quads work as well as the holley top end and I tried.
Formula31,

What is the idle quality with the Torker II? On the Edelbrock site it lists the Torker II's range of 2500-6500 RPM. Does it load up when idling alot (long no-wake zones/rivers)? How is it out of the hole? Since I don't have the measurements for the stock cast manifold, I have a hard time determining what will fit.

The Edelbrock site lists the installation dimensions for each of their manifolds. Here are the A/B measurements that I found:
Torker II - 3.825
RPM Air-Gap - 5.225
Performer RPM - 5.225
Performer 2 - 4.85

The difference between these three are 1.4 inches. Can you get a flame arrester that is shallow but long (14" x 2")?

Bill
Old 09-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Ive destroyed my share of Bravos with mine. I would also be very wary of the alphas especially on these tanks. Thanks for posting pics of mine full force, most would not conisder what I do to that poor cruiser very smart but thanks anyway. Its not worth switching to Bravos either with this hull. I am maxed out on speed without massive hull mods. You could try it but I think you would need a bevy of spare drives. Theres quite a few of these around if you look hard, not too many 2800's like mine with the low windshield and rails but many of the 30" Rogues have the same hull and many were powered with BBC and Bravos. If I had it to do over again, I would have left it alone and found a 28 something single to go pound around in. The shock value of a strong cruiser goes away after a few years of breaking things.
No problm Tom... I love those pics!!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wfyehl
Formula31,

What is the idle quality with the Torker II? On the Edelbrock site it lists the Torker II's range of 2500-6500 RPM. Does it load up when idling alot (long no-wake zones/rivers)? How is it out of the hole? Since I don't have the measurements for the stock cast manifold, I have a hard time determining what will fit.

The Edelbrock site lists the installation dimensions for each of their manifolds. Here are the A/B measurements that I found:
Torker II - 3.825
RPM Air-Gap - 5.225
Performer RPM - 5.225
Performer 2 - 4.85

The difference between these three are 1.4 inches. Can you get a flame arrester that is shallow but long (14" x 2")?

Bill
It will idle at 500 or less if I let it (dont, reversion for sure). It is lower than the stock dual plane cast iron manifold Im pretty sure but i can check. There is no "load-up". All the performance issues you mention dont exist with the proper sized and set-up ignition and carb. I really liked the old 780 cfm vacuum secondarys I had on it better than the 750 mech secondarys I have on it now but they were a bear to setup and not didnt have marine throttle shafts. You would have to see and hear it take off to appreciate how well the system works when setup right.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:50 AM
Registered

I love the pics...that boat is awesome. Never have seen a cruiser catching air like that. To see something that heavy moving through the water like that is really neat.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Registered

It will idle at 500 or less if I let it (dont, reversion for sure). It is lower than the stock dual plane cast iron manifold Im pretty sure but i can check. There is no "load-up". All the performance issues you mention dont exist with the proper sized and set-up ignition and carb. I really liked the old 780 cfm vacuum secondarys I had on it better than the 750 mech secondarys I have on it now but they were a bear to setup and not didnt have marine throttle shafts. You would have to see and hear it take off to appreciate how well the system works when setup right.
What cam and ignition did you use with that intake manifold? Did you get something that worked in the RPM range of the manifold, or a hotter marine cam? Did you use the stock thunderbolt ignition, or an aftermarket?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 09-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Registered

Torker 2 cam. .527, .553 224 232 at 114. Its very close to reversion. 75 degrees of overlap. rollers going in them this year. Stock TB4 ignition is about the most reliable thing going, mine are still stock from 88 in the metal boxes.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Registered

Torker 2 cam. .527, .553 224 232 at 114. Its very close to reversion. 75 degrees of overlap. rollers going in them this year. Stock TB4 ignition is about the most reliable thing going, mine are still stock from 88 in the metal boxes.
How do you prevent reversion? There isn't enough room to raise the exhaust risers. What is your idle set at, ~1000?

Bill
Old 09-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Registered

You go dry which I cant because I have switchable exhausts. I try and keep them at 800 min. I did a test at 750 rpm with one engine in. shut down, pulled the manifold, wet to within 4 inches of the valves. Needless to say, I run inconel exhaust valves and severe duty intakes.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by redstinger
I love the pics...that boat is awesome. Never have seen a cruiser catching air like that. To see something that heavy moving through the water like that is really neat.
Toms boat rocks!!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Registered

You go dry which I cant because I have switchable exhausts. I try and keep them at 800 min. I did a test at 750 rpm with one engine in. shut down, pulled the manifold, wet to within 4 inches of the valves. Needless to say, I run inconel exhaust valves and severe duty intakes.
Currently, I have non-switchable exhaust. If anything, I would upgrade to 4" thru-hull exhaust, then put either muffler tips on, or copy what a friend built for his boat (4" tips with switchable flaps which direct the exhaust down thru a number of holes drilled in the bottom of the tips).

Who makes a dry exhaust, and where does the water exit?

Thanks,
Bill

Quick Reply: Upgrade 454

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.