Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered
    My Boats:
    1989 Baja 250 Sport 454

Best hp cam for a stock 454

I have a stock Gen 5 454. I think it is 330 hp. With the change of a cam. Can I get to 400 hp? What would be a good hp cam to put in it?

Registered
    My Boats:
    83' Nordic 23' Viking 505 BBC TRS Drive
    This is about the most I would recommend in a stock 454. Not sure how much hp it would make but 400 hp is pretty easy to obtain from a 454.You may want to consider an intake manifold (dual plane) and carb change along with it to like a 750 holley.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-11-236-4/

Platinum Member Platinum Member 1BIGJIM's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Pachanga Twin 502s Bob Mandra Cams
    Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
    I would recomend you do a search and start reading.
    A cam change might result in 15HP. You might get one MPH faster. That cam is way to large, you will also need to change the springs. Yes it's easy to get 400HP, but the 330 is all cast internals and has small heads.
    Keep what you have and save your money for gas

Registered
    My Boats:
    1989 Baja 250 Sport 454
    I had the engine in a 21 foot Hawaiian jet boat with a Panther jet drive. It pushed the Hawaiian to 53 miles an hour.The Baja 250 sport is a bigger boat.Thought if I could get a few more horses it would help.If I can get the Baja to 50 mph that is fine for me. I like to cruise not race anyway.Hawaiian is for sale. If anyone wants it. Located in Deptford New Jersey.
    Last edited by 89 Baja 250; 12-09-2009 at 07:15 AM.

Registered
    My Boats:
    1994 Baja 236 500HP
    You should be able to hit 53MPH with the engine in stock form with a 21p mirage prop. That is the engine I started with, I have no original parts left on the engine. The heads are restrictive, the intake is restrictive, carb is to small after upgrades are added, cam is to small, exhaust is restrictive and needs to be changed if a bigger cam is added. The crank, rods and pistons are a cast materials. Oil cooler is to small, oil lines & fittings are restrictive. If you leave it alone and run it at 4600 RPM or less it will last a long time. It is not a performance engine, but if you are not looking to go fast it should work fine for you.

Registered
    My Boats:
    1989 Baja 250 Sport 454
    I just got the number on the block . Its a Volvo penta 1994 454. Number is 4100140606. Can anyone tell what hp it is from numbers. Thanks Mike.

Charter Member # 55 Charter Member Griff's Avatar
    My Boats:
    ............................... 32 Active Thunder
    You will need a performance exhaust system that dumps water near the end of the risers before you can think about upgrading the cam. If not, it will suck water back in.
    Like was said, you should be in the low/mid 50's with the stock 330.

Registered
    My Boats:
    89 Mach 1
    I have a 23' Mach 1 with a 1996 454/330hp and bravo 1 spinning a 23p Mirage to about 4800 rpm and a consistent 58 mph GPS if that helps any. I did try a 23p Hydro last summer and got 61-62 but had low rpms at about 4300 and the boat ran very flat. I'd like to try a 22 or 24 labbed B1 and see what that will do, I'm thinking more bow lift and around the 60-62 mark.
    Last edited by 89Mach1; 12-09-2009 at 04:19 PM.

My Boats:
    230.powerplay,scarab panther
    I have a 23 powerplay that I rebuilt the stock 7.4. I bored out .30 used the stock crank and rods with hyperpertetic pistons 9.5:1, mild comp cams marine extreme cam kit, I was able to use the stock springs but I added the bigger push rods and harlem sharp rockers, had to use longers studs for the cam and rockers, summit duel plane intake and re-jetted the stock carb, I kept the stock exhaust but made it thru-hull with corsa muffler tips. I don't know how fast the boat was before i rebuilt it because it was a basket case when I got it but it runs 62 to 63mph on gps. I ran it all year with no problems and it pulls a tube and comes out of the hole great. It has a 23p mirage 3 blade.Walker Road 079.jpg

Walker Road 081.jpg

My Boats:
    230.powerplay,scarab panther
    I don't think you will get 400 hp by changing the cam. But imo you could get the performance you want by going with the comp cams marine extreme kits and a dual plane intake. Look at the cams they have. I used one that had a performance range from idle to 5000 rpm with smooth idle with a summit brand intake with the same rpm range The stock heads had springs that matched the spec's for my cam.
    I think our boats are close in weight and dead rise. Imo you would be happy with that combo. I would also get a better breating air cleaner. Good luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast