Notices

boat motor gone bad!!!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by balinsteadt
I'll be on my toes if I decide to go that route... Thanks for the advice!

BTW... what does dry piped mean? obviously the water doesn't exit the engine through the exhaust but, what the reason for doing that?
Marine exhaust manifolds have water jackets that allow water to flow through the manifold. At the head the water and exhaust are kept separate, after the riser the water mixes with the exhaust and heads out of the tail pipe together.

You could be getting water into your block through a leaky exhaust manifold, which is why I suggested doing everything you can to make sure it is a cracked block before you go and buy a new one and swap everything over.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tinman565
Gonna go out on a limb here, and say I have to disagree. He spent $18,500 on the boat...and still owes $16,000. That means he FINANCED it. There is no way he should take a chance on another $12,000 in motors. What happens if he spends the money on these "low hour motors", then something mysteriously happens to one or both of those ? I say pull the motors yourself. DO ONE MOTOR AT A TIME. Have a friend or two help you. Get good advice from numerous people (dont just tear something off cause uncle bill told you to). Ask 5,6,8 people about what you run into, then take a general consensus. Get info from the internet on what your working on that day. Work SLOWLY and mark everything. Put parts in zip lock bags and mark where they came from. Mark wires and hoses. Take pics with your phone. Keep a computer diary.Then find a reputable engine shop in your area, and ask questions. They want to help so you'll tell others about them. You should be able to rebuild both motors for less than one of the used ones. In the end, you'll have two new motors that YOU built, you'll know whats in them as far as parts and machine work, and you'll have learned something new. There is no feeling in the world like building a motor yourself, and firing it up for the first time. Remember I said this when you and your wife are cruising and listening to the sound of those big blocks that YOU built. Take your time...and get good solid info. I think you can handle this. I really do.
You are exactly right about the boat being financed. And you have an excellent point about a 12k gamble. Of course, I know its all a gamble when there is no warranty. Not that I could come out of pocket 12k anyway.

Do you feel that the engine shop needs to specialize in marine engines? or would any "reputable" engine shop be capable of assisting me in a rebuild. I would love to build my engines myself and if I get one done and be back on the water for the late season I would definitely have the modding bug by the time its too cold outside to be on the water.... and wind up getting subpoenaed by my wives' attorney while holding a wrench hovering over another new top end kit in the garage all while feeling "this is totally worth it!" haha! But, your right! I do as much of the work on our vehicles as I can convince my wife I'm capable of doing.... and after doing that I always feel that the cramping back is just a reminder that I'm awesome! haha! I love the feeling of accomplishment I get after spending an afternoon turning a wrench!

Thank you so much for your advice!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by olmako20
I would rebuild as well. Since this unfortunatly happened in the summer you have pleanty of time until next summer to rebuild. I rebuilt 2 small blocks in the matter of 3 months only working on the weekends and some nights. It's really not rocket science to rebuild
either. A couple of good books and some local advice from the machine shop helped out big time. In also got the video from boxwrench.net and it helped great for those steps you can't visualize from
a book.

Tinman is right, the satisfaction from building your own motors is great. And if anything goes wrong you know the motors inside and out.
Do you have any specific books you would recommend? 3 months for two engines tells me I might be able to do 1 in that same time period... lol ... how much experience did you have at that time with mechanics?

Thank you very much for your advice!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
At this point I would pick up the motor myself from the marina. You don't seem to have good results with them anyhow, and it doesn't sound like they're all that competent.

I would try to pressurize what you can of the cooling system and see if you can get water to leak into the block from somewhere. I guess you could have a crack somewhere that only opens when the motor gets hot, or when it's under power, but to assume that the block is junk just because water is ending up in the cyls or oil to me seems irresponsible. I would want to make sure I needed a block before I went out and did a ton of work swapping everything out.

If you can't get water to leak into the block with hose pressure or otherwise, I would rig the motor to run on a cradle in the garage with a garden hose supplying water to the motor. I would do everything that I could to make sure that it WAS a cracked block before I did all that work swapping blocks.

I would try to borrow some car headers and mufflers to run the motor in the garage. It will eliminate the possibility that a cracked exh. manifold is giving you problems, and help to isolate the block as the problem, if you end up finding a problem.

Regardless of the outcome of your water investigation plan on sending the heads off to a local machine shop to have them rebuilt. Have the valves ground, new guides put in place, and new seals installed. It shouldn't cost all that much to have this done, and at 500 hours you're ready for some valve work.

Don't count your boating season over yet! There's still a few warm months. There really isn't any reason that you shouldn't be able to get this thing back together reasonably quickly.
I think I am going to pick up the engine... actually the whole boat... I think that after reading post after post after post with what seems solid and encouraging advice without one single reference to letting the shop I'm currently using finish what they've started, (aside from it costing me 3 times what it could) I am done with them... and when it comes time to put the engine back in after having it rebuilt or rebuilding it my self or a combo job or half new half rebuilt and 1/3 magic, I think I'll either find some way to do it myself or find another shop to do it! As far as running it in the garage... I dont have a cradle, hell, I dont even have an engine stand, (and I'm not sure I know the difference) although I've wanted one for a long time and they are relatively inexpensive. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON AN ENGINE STAND? brand/store/features.... so on?

Thanks for your advice!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
If you are truely taking in water, first check the oil and see if it is milkshake.
That will be one of the first things I do as soon as I get my boat and engine from the shop! Come to think of it.... Travis (the service manager at Smithville Marine) never told me anything about HOW HE KNEW water was getting into places it shouldn't be.... just that it was... and he couldnt find "the" crack. hmm... Ok, now I'm just getting paranoid! haha... anyway... I have decided that I am going to get my boat and motor thats out of the boat, and settle up with Travis whatever I owe him for whatever they have already done in their so called "diagnostics" that resulted in "we think there is a crack that we cant find and you need a new engine" I'm sorry, your right in your other post... I am very frustrated and but shouldn't rant and bag on Smithville Marine... anyway.. I did send you a pm inquiring about your spare engine, and I havent ruled out buying one take out to replace my broken engine... but as you may have read in one of my other responses I have ruled out buying newer engines to replace both of mine at this time anyway... who knows what will happen down the road... maybe i'll rebuild this one, feel proud and rebuild the other, then sell them and buy new engines.... but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

Thanks again!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
I'd scrap the whole boat, save up for a year and buy something with lower hours next year. Though I know it would suck to do that, it doesn't make sense investing $12,000 that you don't have into a boat that is only equally worth that amount. You'll be $24,000 deep into a boat that's only worth $12,000-$15,000 (guesstimate).
I agree that 12k is too much for me to spend on this boat right now! but I dont think scrapping it would be as much fun as rebuilding the engine.(which from what I'm told could be as cheap as $2.5k if I did as much of the work myself as possible) and I dont believe I could get even what I owe out of it with the one engine wasted.... It would take me a year to pay off the remaining balance and another year to save up a down payment... I appreciate your advice and reasoning however I simply (maybe out of sheer pride) CAN NOT just throw in the towel on this.

Thanks again for your advice!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
Marine exhaust manifolds have water jackets that allow water to flow through the manifold. At the head the water and exhaust are kept separate, after the riser the water mixes with the exhaust and heads out of the tail pipe together.

You could be getting water into your block through a leaky exhaust manifold, which is why I suggested doing everything you can to make sure it is a cracked block before you go and buy a new one and swap everything over.
Oh, Ok thanks for the explanation on dry pipes... I am definitely going to take the motor somewhere else for a second opinion.. although with the previously described pogo stick sounding start ups, I think there is definitely something wrong... or maybe not quite right... somewhere.... I have an auto mechanic that I trust with anything auto related (if I were a car I would trust him with my life) as do 40 or so other people I work with.... do you think that it would be ill advised to ask him to take a look at the motor and see what he thinks? or are marine engines similar enough to automotive engines that he should be able to tell me the thick n thin of it?

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I really do not know of any good shops in the KC area. To my knowledge there really are none. Your best bet would be to haul the boat to LOTO. I would call Brett at Performance Boat Brokerage. The problem is your limited budget. They will give you straight answers on what is wrong and you can go from there.

If you were only turning 4250 rpms, then boat was propped wrong to start with. 454 mags should be propped to turn 5000rpms. The props were 2-4" in pitch to big.

There are a lot more ways for water to get into an engine than because of a cracked block. I agree with what was said about your current mechanic winterizing it. If the block is cracked after they winterized it in the Spring, then it is their fault. Also, the water mixed with the oil sitting in the engine is no doubt causing more damage. Exactly how did they determine that the block was cracked???? Unless they can see the crack, then its a guess.

Water can get in through bad exhaust riser gaskets, bad inatke gaskets or bad head gaskets, or cracked exhaust manifolds.

The biggest thing is the original stalling of the engine. Why???? 185* is not that high. It sounds like the original issue was caused by you backing off the throttles too fast and the engine ingested water through the tail pipes. Then the mechanic did not diagnose or correct the problem. This lead to more issues and wasted money.

I would cut your losses now and go pick up your boat and engine. You have plenty of time to figure out a solution. It really does not sound like they know WTF they are doing.
You can always start taking the engine apart yourself, but if you don't know what you are looking for, you probably won't find the problem.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:14 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You sure it is not just the exhaust manifolds cracked or leaking? Sounds to me like your mechanic may not be tops.....
Old 06-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by balinsteadt
Oh, Ok thanks for the explanation on dry pipes... I am definitely going to take the motor somewhere else for a second opinion.. although with the previously described pogo stick sounding start ups, I think there is definitely something wrong... or maybe not quite right... somewhere.... I have an auto mechanic that I trust with anything auto related (if I were a car I would trust him with my life) as do 40 or so other people I work with.... do you think that it would be ill advised to ask him to take a look at the motor and see what he thinks? or are marine engines similar enough to automotive engines that he should be able to tell me the thick n thin of it?

Thanks again for the advice!
An engine cradle is only about $50, an engine stand is a little bit more (spend the extra $20 and get a 4 post stand rather than the three wheeled version...).

Your auto mechanic should be able to look at your motor for you. It's kind of hard because the issue you're having is most likely a marine issue (it has everything to do with a marine cooling system, rather than an auto cooling system).

I wouldn't worry too much about the "pogo stick" sound. You're going to get funny noises when you have water in your cylinders. Something may well be broken, but cross that bridge when you find out what.

If you drain the oil, borrow a set of auto exh. manifolds, and get it to run in your garage you should be able to tell (a) if your block is cracked, and (b) if there's anything wrong with your block as it stands. At that point your motor will basically be an automotive motor, except for the brass freeze plugs and cam.

I agree with Griff that your issue was likely caused by water entering in through the exhaust, possibly from stopping too fast. Does your exh. have the rubber flaps on the tips (or should it?) and if so, are they in decent shape?

IMO an exh. issue is much more likely than a cracked block, given the series of events (it worked for a while this spring).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.