Gimbal bearing and bellows help >

Gimbal bearing and bellows help

Notices

Gimbal bearing and bellows help

Old 08-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gimbal bearing and bellows help

I just bought a formula 223 and I think the bilge was flooded at some point, the starter and alternator are fried. I have fixed everything but when I took it out yesterday the drive was very noisy when turning. It sounds like what I have read a gimbal bearing soundes like when its bad, and after removing the lower unit the bellows is filled with mocha looking oil. My question is the bellows feels great, I cant find any rips and it looks to be fairly new as well as the shifter bellows and water tube. I am wondering if there was deep water in the bilge could the water in the oil have come from the inside? If so can I pull the gimbal bearing with the bellows still attached to save the need for all the special tools to remove the the old bellows????
Old 08-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bearing can be removed with the bellows still on. You will need to realign the bearing when it is replaced. Also clean out the boot and check it again carefully. If in doubt replace the boot. Otherwise yes water from the inside of the boat if deep enough can get in thru the gimble bearing & ruin it while putting water in the boot at the same time.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 08-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Registered

Thanks for the quick reply! I am going to have the bearing and boot done by a pro, too many tools that I dont have needed! Worth the $350 to just get it done.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

You're welcome, glad I could help.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 08-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by boboznutz
Thanks for the quick reply! I am going to have the bearing and boot done by a pro, too many tools that I dont have needed! Worth the $350 to just get it done.
You need ZERO special tools to change the bellows.

To get the bearing out (depending on which way it was installed) you only need to go to advance and rent a puller for $0.00. If the bearing has already been replaced before and someone was smart enough to put the housing in with the notches point out then you need nothing other than a screwdriver to replace the bearing itself.....
Old 02-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by lxsy4481
Christian Louboutin pumps .
how many gallons an hour do they pump?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
how many gallons an hour do they pump?
dk,,this is spam..
Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

like seaford was saying; the outside of the gimbal bearing is like a 2 inch thick slice out of a 6 inch diameter ball. if you see the 2 notches, put a jack handle or piece of pipe into the gimbal bearing and pop it sideways as far as you can. then take a screwdriver, long punch or a long ratchet extension and hit the low side to spin it the rest of the way sideways and pull it out thru the notches. you will have to remove the cage from new bearing the same way. look at grease hole in bearing. look at grease slot in new cage. the grease hole is off center. it gets installed with grease hole to the forward side. or else you won't be able to grease it.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Registered

check your outdrive fluid too. if it has any water in it, the drive would need to be pressure tested. if there is water intrusion in the drive, water can be forced thru the upper and into the bellows. wanna know how i know this?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Remember that a leak in the bellows isn't the only way water can get inside of it. If the boat had enough water in it, it can get into the bellows from inside the boat - through the transom assembly. Any time we get a sinker, the drive automatically comes off to check and drain that area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.