Notices

ANNOYING leak, GRRRRRRRR

Old 08-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ANNOYING leak, GRRRRRRRR

NO $100 reward, but, would appreciate some help [- :

I had a pile of "side to side" slop in my lower unit, and a small leak coming in the boat around the top of the inner transom plate [near the raw water intake hose]

Only leaked when sitting at the dock, not underway, talked to a few people on here and pretty much decided steering pin/seal was shot, turns out it WAS, I got a local marina to change the pin [stainless now] and gimble ring for me, as well as the drive and shift bellows, HAS to cure the leak right? NOPE!

Mechanic backed the boat in on the trailer and the leak was still there [but was much less] pulled boat back out and put a small bead of "3M" sealant around the transom seal [inside and out] and a few hours later splashed boat, no leaks! WOO HOO

Took boat out for 20 mins to check out everything and make sure it was "ok", got back to dock and once again there was a small leak coming from transom?

I figure if the bellows and steering pin are both brand new the ONLY place it can be leaking is the Transom seal, right? Problem is: I DONT want to lose the rest of the summer pulling out the motor [24ft Baja outlaw] and drive and resealing the transom, so, my question is:

Are there any tips/tricks or good products I can use to "re seal" the transom? Like I said the leak is "minor" its actually more of a "drip" but, its driving me NUTS! and I would like to seal it up so it doesn't leak at all

Thanks guys, ANY input would sure be appreciated!
Michael
Old 08-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get leaks around the lower bolts that hold the transom plate on. In early yrs they actually made these anodes which would rot away and leak.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
You can get leaks around the lower bolts that hold the transom plate on. In early yrs they actually made these anodes which would rot away and leak.

Would I seal those on the inside or out? any idea how to seal it up, or check them? Its a 1995 boat, so, it could be something similiar to what you mentioned, thanks!!

Michael
Old 08-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Registered
Gold Member

does it still leak high on the inside close to the swivel seal or lower?
if its lower, install plug in transom and fill the bilge with water(obviously not as high at the starter). then pull up and down on the drive and see if the water leaks from the transom seal. try to notice if the transom asm moves excessively. also does your exhaust exit thru transom AND thru prop like corsa or similar. if yes see if water leaks from prop.y-pipes leak also
Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Trim sensor wire thru hole?

Last edited by Throttle Fever; 08-12-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Registered

Hey Guys!

Thanks for the input! I have stainless marine exhaust, so, the regular exhaust is capped and sealed. When I first noticed the leak, I did fill the boat with a garden hose partially up with water [with the toungue elevated] since I was thinking it might be a thru hull fitting for a depth sounder, etc, but, nothing leaked out? Although I never thought of "lifting" the outdrive up and down, thats a good idea! Thanks! Will have a look

Where would I check the trim sensor wire thru hull, I had the trim wires changed when the gimble was done because they where kinda "ratty" looking, maybe it didn't seal up properly? How would I check?

Thanks A Lot guys, I really appreciate the input!
Michael
Old 08-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Registered

"looking for boats" SORRY, I forgot to mention, the leak is "up high" near the top of the inner transom plate, just to the right of the area where the raw water pump hose passes thru the transom

Thanks again!
Michael
Old 08-12-2010, 09:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Trim wires are to the port side of the water intake, sort of hard to see or repair with the engine in. You can see them on the outside of the boat with the drive trimmed up. Port side of the drive shaft bellows.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:41 AM
Registered

Corsa quick and quiet diverters are leaking water at the actuator shafts. Anyone have this problem and know of a fix?
Old 05-30-2015, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 369 Likes on 248 Posts

Soft transom? Might lead to water intrusion... Been there...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.