Notices

Engine swap...HELP...

Old 09-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawkcat
How much torque are the diesels putting out
Hi, aparently the Peak Torque: 495ft.lbs. at 2200 rpm and they should rev to 3600. Does this help?

Pete
Old 09-27-2010, 06:31 AM
Registered

Hi All. Well, it looks like I will be keeping the TRS drives. To be honest, to pay out another 10 to 20 K for drives, was not accounted for. Also, by putting the engines further back in the engine bay, I would have to modify the deck area around the front of the engines. The Turbo´s stick up a lot higher than the sides of the boat, when in the possition of a Bravo setup. So, less $$$$$ and a lot less cutting out, is the way forward, I think?

Would the weight of the engines, further forward, effect the boat in any way?

PS, In front of the engines I have 2 fuel tanks and I have just found out that they are 50 Gallon (imp) each.

Any ideas are more than welcome. Anyone with experience of this situation, and knowing the end result, please share your experiences.

Thanks to all

Pete
Old 09-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you are in very uncharted waters. Not that the end result will not be good just saying I doubt you will find anyone that has done this on that boat.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

would you be able to lower the engines in the boar and run a set of surface drives? ones with out drop box's to get your engine height?
Old 09-28-2010, 06:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
would you be able to lower the engines in the boar and run a set of surface drives? ones with out drop box's to get your engine height?
Hi mrfixxall, I did consider surface drives btu, again, the cost has not been accounted for and, here on the island, the harbours are very small. Having looked into surface drives, I have read so much about them being a pain to control, in small areas.

Thanks for the idea

Pete
Old 09-28-2010, 06:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
I think you are in very uncharted waters. Not that the end result will not be good just saying I doubt you will find anyone that has done this on that boat.
Thanks Audiofn,

Uncharted waters, is a perfect description for this situation. I guess you/we will have to watch this space and we might all learn a little something. I just hope it´s not the type of learning we all hate.

My only concern is the effect of pushing the engine weight forward, even if it is only the length of the box¨s. Saying that, I have had to move people forward, to get other boats on the plane, so, maybe with good bow lifting props, this weight will not be a problem.???????????????????????

Cheers

Pete
Old 09-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If the boat still runs maybe you can do some math and add weight up in the bow to see how it will run with the weight moved forward?
Old 09-28-2010, 07:24 AM
Registered

Hi, Boat is now on hardstanding and both old engines removed. Good thought though. I can only guess that the boat design must account for a lot of weight forward of the engines, as I said, the 100 gallon (Imp) are in front of the engines.

Maybe if I keep them half full and / or, add another tank above the drives / box´s, to compensate. Then only use the full, front tanks, for long distance.

Pete
Old 11-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Registered

Default Update

At last I have found time to get back on the boat. Stripped most of the engine bay and removed the (Alpha 1) drives and gimbles.

I made a template for the TRS gimbles and checked the difference, with the Alpha holes, in the transom. They are about the same, wide, but the TRS are quite a bit longer.

Is there a recommended height, for the gimble, from the bottom of the hull, on the TRS drives? Or is the height of the gimble, decided by what height you want the prop shaft? If yes, what is the best height for the prop shaft?

Thanks in advance.

Pete
Old 11-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Registered

Default Same question + a new one

Hi guys, same question as for the drive height, for a twin setup, with TRS drives. Also, I need to fit through hull water pickups. I was thinking of putting them through the hull, close to the transom, so that I can fit the valves directly to the pickups and support them on the transom. Is there any problem with this???

Thanks guys

Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.