Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Gen IV 420hp 454 rebuild opinions?? >

Gen IV 420hp 454 rebuild opinions??

Notices

Gen IV 420hp 454 rebuild opinions??

Old 12-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Edelbrock spring kit #5795 is deffinately not correct for that Crane Roller Cam. Thats for a hydraulic flat tappet cam and only sets up at 100 lbs. on the seat.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I believe the reason most dont run gear drive setups is due to harmonics. Kinda why i think alot of builders use belt driven camshafts nowadays. I could be wrong.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just always considered them overkill in a regularly driven recreational boat making under 600 hp. Besides their noisy as hell usually, also known as a poor man's blower for the loud wine they make. I believe I've heard the same information as Mild Thunder about the harmonics. Seems like belt drives are the hot set up now. Not really practical in a everyday driver though. A good quality timing chain set with billet sprocket will last for years with out stretching.

As far as mocking up with the push rods you have,they will be around 3/4 inch too long compared to the ones for roller lifters.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie17
Jim, any particular reason for ditching the gear drive and going to a chain? I was thinking the chain can stretch over time and retard cam timing, but maybe I'm missing something there.
Pushrod length for correct geometry for sure, thought being to start with stock length and see where its at, unless the Edelbrock heads have a different rocker shaft height than stock. I'll mock up with the pushrods that are in it and measure from there.
As for the Crane roller rockers, I do have them already but budgeting for new sets just in case they're not perfect.

Blue Thunder, appreciate the valve spring part numbers and seat pressures. But when you say open up the ring gap 'substantially', how much is 'substantially'?
And why do you run large ring end gaps on boat engines, is it something to do with how cold they run?

As always, appreciate the opinions and advice gentlemen. I owe a few of you a cold beer or two.
I would follow the piston manufacturers ring end gap recommendation for marine nitrous or supercharging. Marine engines are under tremendous unending load and sustained high rpm (relative to autos). A bad load of gas or slight overheat issue can quickly cause rings to butt without a margin of safety. They you are pulling ring lands off your pistons. Plus there is little if any downside in my opinion on opening them up to the top of the recommended range. And like the old timers say, set them up too tight, everyone will know. Set them up too loose, only you will know.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Registered

Give Bob Madara @ Marine Kinetics http://www.marinekineticsonline.com/index.html a call. You certainly know more than i do when it comes to engines, but I still think it would be a good call to make.

I have been researching my up coming engine project and every time anything was mentioned about cams Bob's name came up. Now I'm pretty "green" with all the technical engine build stuff so I called him the other day, extremely knowledgeable guy, takes the time to talk to you and very willing to explain in detail what he is talking about, very important for me . He was/is very sensitive to budgets and gives good solid advice, doesn't just try to take your money...anyways, just my .02

Good luck!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Registered

How did build work out??? What rpm did you get out of motor and what size carb and fuel line are you running??
Old 06-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Got a little busy with the race car stuff and decided to use what I already have for this summer. Didn't want to get into it and run out of time and not have a boat for the summer...

But a solid game plan is waiting now for about November... I'll update once I get into it for sure. Should be a fun little project.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Registered

Since your taking your time contact Bob Madera mentioned above. He will really help you and can provide all the parts. Call him, you won't be disappointed.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Registered

Sell me your old heads and used parts.