Stroking a Reverse Rotation 454 >

Stroking a Reverse Rotation 454

Notices

Stroking a Reverse Rotation 454

Old 01-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Stick with the airgap,even tho you wont see 6500 rpm's its still a better intake then the performer intake...you wont be boiling the fuel from under the intake from the hot oil splashing on it.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Trojans are an incredibly well built boat and of course as he is saying are either direct drive or V drive but either way have fixed prop shafts and no drives on the back of the boat
I think you are a little optomistic on the HP of the new engines but being reverse rotation doesnt cause any real problems
Old 01-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Registered

Fastestonehere I know your boat well.

I'm vey interested in what you're at doing because I'm looking to do the same thing on a 21000 lbs boat . First, do you have Crusader engines?

The reason being is You said that you have "2 454 MK IV,s one standard rotation one Reverse rotation "crank spins backwards" cam is standard direction reverse firing order "gear driven" -

Are you saying saying that your cam is a standard cam and not a reverse cam in the reverse engine? I was thinking I would have to get a special reverse grind cam on mine, but if it's standard cam that would be great.

I was hoping to use a mild cam that would utilize the added stroke to acheive about 400 to 420 hp and 500 lbs of torque in the crusing range. With our type of boats its all about torque, so any way I could acheive more of it that would be better. I also run 72c transmisions. As far as propping I deal with prop scan out of Chichago, they are excellant. With my boat I was hoping to get a couple more inches of pitch with the added torque and then cruise at a higher rpm. I use fuel flow meters and know that if I currently run at 3500 rpms I get better fuel ecoonomy than at 3200. I was hoping to run the rebuilt stroked engines at 3800 because despite the higher rpms the more the boat gets up out of the water the more efficient it becomes. Your boat with the Delta Conic hull begins to really move once it gets on top of the water.

I'm also interested to know what the cost of your rebuild is going to be.

One other thing my builder is concerned about is water reversion if I go too radical with the cam because I do idle alot when trolling. Please let me know how things are progressing and what kind of performance your're looking to get. Any suggestions are welcome.

Good luck - keep me informed

Last edited by rrrwel; 01-10-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

The cam spins the standard rotation but has a different firing order. I've done a couple stroked reverse rotators they work fine. It's the only way to go unless you change trans. On V drives you can change their direction but straight shafts you're pooched. I'd use the stock GM small cap HEI, the MSD marine distributors are junk and you have no need for a box. ProSytems can build you a set of custom carbs matched to your combo for not much more then out of the box carbs and they work great. Good luck with the project.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you do not need or gain a thing from MSD(may soon die) you do not need the performer RPM, look at where the power band is, you do not anything over a 750 at most with this application..you want max velocity and torque..again 3500 rpm going to be where it lives...
Old 01-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 30Special
The 72 C is a transmission, not your outdrive !!!!

What DRIVES are on the back of the boat ??
a picture would be very helpfull !!
Sounds like an inboard to me. A reverse rotation motor will spin the motor's crank backward. The 72's, you have to rotate the plate that is in the front of the tranny to make it work like a normal rotation tranny would but spinning in the other direction.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by rrrwel
Fastestonehere I know your boat well.

I'm vey interested in what you're at doing because I'm looking to do the same thing on a 21000 lbs boat . First, do you have Crusader engines?

The reason being is You said that you have "2 454 MK IV,s one standard rotation one Reverse rotation "crank spins backwards" cam is standard direction reverse firing order "gear driven" -

Are you saying saying that your cam is a standard cam and not a reverse cam in the reverse engine? I was thinking I would have to get a special reverse grind cam on mine, but if it's standard cam that would be great.

I was hoping to use a mild cam that would utilize the added stroke to acheive about 400 to 420 hp and 500 lbs of torque in the crusing range. With our type of boats its all about torque, so any way I could acheive more of it that would be better. I also run 72c transmisions. As far as propping I deal with prop scan out of Chichago, they are excellant. With my boat I was hoping to get a couple more inches of pitch with the added torque and then cruise at a higher rpm. I use fuel flow meters and know that if I currently run at 3500 rpms I get better fuel ecoonomy than at 3200. I was hoping to run the rebuilt stroked engines at 3800 because despite the higher rpms the more the boat gets up out of the water the more efficient it becomes. Your boat with the Delta Conic hull begins to really move once it gets on top of the water.

I'm also interested to know what the cost of your rebuild is going to be.

One other thing my builder is concerned about is water reversion if I go too radical with the cam because I do idle alot when trolling. Please let me know how things are progressing and what kind of performance your're looking to get. Any suggestions are welcome.

Good luck - keep me informed
Yes, Crusaders....

Not Standard Cams....Standard Rotation reverse firing order,Distr. gear is standard cut , Timing Gear is pressed on with a key way. my cam is at Cam motion being measured, Bob is having "6" sets of these made. for people like us. not cheep but Right.

Im not really worried about reversion because bob is working with the LSA so this should not be an issue.

Cost ???? well i build my own Engines... or i should say Assemble my own. but i will keep you all posted on cost as it all comes in.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by fastestonehere
Yes, Crusaders....

Not Standard Cams....Standard Rotation reverse firing order,Distr. gear is standard cut , Timing Gear is pressed on with a key way. my cam is at Cam motion being measured, Bob is having "6" sets of these made. for people like us. not cheep but Right.

Im not really worried about reversion because bob is working with the LSA so this should not be an issue.

Cost ???? well i build my own Engines... or i should say Assemble my own. but i will keep you all posted on cost as it all comes in.
i know some people have done this,,make sure you get the reverse rotation rear main and front crank seals..
Old 01-11-2011, 06:24 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
i know some people have done this,,make sure you get the reverse rotation rear main and front crank seals..
Thanks, i've heard that i should get a "non directional" seal.

But how about the oil cooler.....also im a closed cooling system.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oil flow is the same, why the cam turns correct wat to drive the oil pump right, better off staying the the gear to gear set up..the new ones(which I have) run a chain and a reverse cut dist gears...ends up with all new issures there..long story...mine are crusaders with closed cooling as well...Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.