Notices

Floor layup help

Old 01-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floor layup help

Installing a new deck in my formula 233, what's a great schedule for the layup? I'll using west systems epoxy resin with this project. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Registered

I normally use a mairine ply coring matching the thickness of the existing coring. I then pre-coat it using CPES, this ensures total sealing. Depending upon the stenght needed I like to lay up about 4 layers of 10 oz glass. I have also used 18 oz biax for a base then 1 or 2 layers of 10 oz. Using the biax will take more sanding to get it faired perfectly but if this going to be covered by carpeting then the biax would be easier. Laying all 10 oz enables you roll the layers out a bit smoother to begin but then you're applying more layers.

May I suggest one more thing. West Sytems is one of the best products you can use. Saying that my last few projects I've tried Mas Expoxies low viscosity. They are also top notch but their advantage is that their epoxy does not produce an amine blush. That means you don't need to make sure you wash off all the amine blush before appling another layer. If you're going to lay everything up in one night then that's a mute point, but if you're going to work through multiple days then I like the non-blusing expoxies . Mas is a bit pricey so I just ordered some non-blush expoxy from expoxyproducts.com. Very good prices.

I also like to add a white color tint to the expoy on the final layers. This will show impefections better and gives a nice white gel coat look.

Good luck with the project
Old 01-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help! When do normally lay a second and third layer? Once the first layer starts to kick?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Registered

You can lay your glass one right after the other and get the build thickness and strength desired. Don't put too much resin when you first start to wet out the glass. If you see a few spots not totally wet out you'll cover all of it on the next layup. Temperture plus what you use regarding slow, medium or fast harderner all come into play. If you have all your fiberglass precut, sized and ready to go you can lay it all at once using the medium hardener. I like the low viscosity resin because it wets out and flow much better. I perfer a temperture around 75 in a controlled enviorment. I like precoating with CPES for two reasons. First it really protects the wood and then when it gets tacky I lay my fist layer of fiberglass on top of that so it knd of sticks in place nicely. The glass is easy to position and stays in place for a good start. Again, adding a white pigment to the last layup and then one more coat of just pigmented white resin on top of that will make it come out with a nice white gelcoat finish.

If you would like put a non-skid surface on it I recommend a product called Kiwi Grip. It's a one part application that's the easiest I've ever used and it looks fantastic. What I do is take it in to Sherwin Williams and have them tint it to make the existing gel coat of the boat is it matches.

Once you start you'll get the hang of it.

If you would like to see pics of a recent project using this medthod I can email them directly to you.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:29 AM
Registered

Thanks for all your help. You can email them to [email protected]
Old 01-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Registered

I would like some pics too, especially if you have any of a large layup. I will hopefully be laying the floor in my 28' true world marine soon and am dreading it. Any suggestions? I think the actual deck ends up being 20'x6.5'
Old 02-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Registered

RRRWel- when you say you lay the 4 layers of 10 oz, do you mean mat or cloth? I have a bunch of 17 0z bi-ax so I was planning on putting a layer of this down and then 2 layers of 10 oz. I just need to know if I use mat or cloth. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Registered

Go ahead and lay your biax mat then followup with 10 oz cloth. Do the top first and wrap the mat and then the cloth around the edges a few inches on the bottom. Hopefully the 1708 will wrap around OK. When that sets up flip it over and cut your mat and cloth to fill in the rest of the bottom. I normally put my project on a large table with buckets or paint cans so I can wrap the glass around to the bottom.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Registered

alright here is my layup schedule, let me know if you guys thinks its ok. 1 layer of 17 0z, bi-axial, 1 layer of 5.7 oz mat, and 1 layer of 1.5 oz cloth. Think this will hold up??