Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Platinum Member Platinum Member frickstyle's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1990 Top Gun, Pursuit 3370

Flipping/Turning over a boat/hull

I would like to flip my boat/hull over in order to straighten out the bottom, fix gouges, and paint it. Can anyone post pics of what they used to turn over their boat? I can make something to hold it, just wanted to see what others have used. Everything will be stripped out, almost to the bare hull. Hell, even turning just 90 degrees would make this job much easier (thinking similar to a car rotisserie for frame off restos)....

Can you thru bolt a pinion to the outdrive mounting holes and make something to support the front section of the hull???
    "America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bada$$ speed." -Eleanor Roosevelt

My Boats:
    88 240 with a new lease on life
    Here is how somebody did it:

Bluprinting My Hull and...........

You shouldn't need to flip it completely over, but being able to rotate it to do one side of the botttom at a time would definitely make things easier. Some big foam blocks would work good.

Ginger or Mary Ann? Charter Member US1 Fountain's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1999 32 Fountain Fever, 1995 Baja 29' Cruiser
    My brother and myself did it on his 23' Glastron. Not the heaviest by any means. Used a long steel pipe going into the bilge, fastened inside to the engine mounts and at the transom with plates bolted to the holes. With a larger pipe that slid over that pipe acting as a bearing, used a chain and chain hoist wrapped around the larger pipe section and connected to an over head beam. At front, used an engine hoist connected to a strap looped thru the bow eye to keep it from sliding forward. We ended up having to run a couple of ropes from the strap to a point rearward, to keep the strap from slipping forward over the nose as we rolled it over. Very surprised at the amount of force required to get it just vertically. A lot of weight in the bottom keeping it bottom heavy.We ended up using a come-along on one of the rear u-bolts to help pull that side up to flip it. Just go slow and watch whats going on. The size/weight of your boat may require more HD equipment than the engine hoist we were able to use.
    Some people are like Slinkies - Not really good for anything, but they
    bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

VIP Member VIP Member FuelinAround's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Sonic 31SS
    We painted a guys here locally by raising the front. He had 12ft ceilings I believe. We took the boat off the trailer and set the back on tires then lifted the bow way up in the air so it was at an angle
    *ISN'T IT FUNNY THAT WAR AND LOSS OF JOBS BUILT SOME OF OUR MOST BEAUITFUL LAKE REGIONS?*

Platinum Member Platinum Member frickstyle's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1990 Top Gun, Pursuit 3370
    Thanks for all the info guys. I agree, I'm not going to turn it completely over, even 45-70 degrees makes it more accessible. I just have to figure out how to support and turn the front, the back is easy. What about some heavy timbers cut to the profile of the hull made as a half cradle?

The hard part is getting it to "roll" in a controlled manner.
    "America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bada$$ speed." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Registered
    My Boats:
    1997 fountain fever 32
    Might want to drain/siphon your fuel tank to prevent flowing out the vent.