Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Oil/power Steering Cooler Help!!! >

Oil/power Steering Cooler Help!!!

Notices

Oil/power Steering Cooler Help!!!

Old 03-17-2011, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is the one I use, you may want the slip on fittings, I use AN on everything so I use the threaded ends. http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/car...l&p=13577&c=47
Old 03-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92stingray502
Please help me guys!! Im rebuilding a 502 due to a wiped flat tappet cam. I know i have to replace the oil/power steering cooler and im pulling my hair out trying to figure out what to replace it with. Merc says the OEM replacement is a 817577t. This cooler is crazy expensive. I have a 23 foot boat and I will be under 600 hp. Do I really need a cooler this big? I have been told that you can't clean the metal out of the cooler. Someone please help!!!!!!!!!
If it just has stuff plugging the holes inside, you can clean it out. I just did mine, it was full of lot's of neat debris , old impeller pieces, sand etc.

I used a piece of Solid Core 14 Gauge wire (with the sheathing on it), wrapped a piece of electrical tape around the end and carefully went through each hole cleaning everything out. Pressure test it when your done.. good to go

Just realized your probably talking about metal on the inside of the oil part of the cooler.. At the cost of new ones, I'd sure try flushing it out if you think it would work.

Last edited by Eliminator28; 03-24-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No flushing it will not work. There is no way to get all the metal out of it unless you cut it open to clean it. I'm think I'm going with the one from Eddie Marine it has the best price. Thanks guys.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You have this possibility
http://www.mrcool.us/817577t-mercrui...em-cooler.html

or this one
http://www.mrcool.us/mrc-cph-650.html

depending on your horsepower.

If you want to give us a call, I'm sure we can help.

248-960-7850

Russ

Last edited by Mr. Cool; 03-29-2011 at 12:16 PM.