Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Whats does it take to make dry tails? >

Whats does it take to make dry tails?

Notices

Whats does it take to make dry tails?

Old 03-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats does it take to make dry tails?

Well if this new law goes into effect in missoui looks like were gunna need mufflers at lake of the ozarks..but on other lakes I run there is no sound restriction. So my question is, since Im gunna have to buy slip on mufflers anyway, how can I make my tails dry on my boat? I have emi thunders. I love the sound of dry tails over wet anyday..so I might as well go for it..I know Ill have to have someone weld extentions on my tails now to extended them through the transom..but what about the water?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well looks like all you really need to do is disconnect the hose where the water goes in to the tail and run it to dumps going through the transom. I don't know what boat you are doing this in but keep in mind the tails are going to be getting very hot. Will this be safe in your boat?
If you are going to make this change because your worried about reversion with that HP500 cam with 110 LSA than you may want to concider just selling that cam and get a crane 139011 or 168731, same cam for different gens. It's almost the same specs as the HP 500 except 112 LSA. Personally I favor the crane. It would be cheaper and a lot less work also. Just saying. Just my opinion. It's your boat.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Well looks like all you really need to do is disconnect the hose where the water goes in to the tail and run it to dumps going through the transom. I don't know what boat you are doing this in but keep in mind the tails are going to be getting very hot. Will this be safe in your boat?
If you are going to make this change because your worried about reversion with that HP500 cam with 110 LSA than you may want to concider just selling that cam and get a crane 139011 or 168731, same cam for different gens. It's almost the same specs as the HP 500 except 112 LSA. Personally I favor the crane. It would be cheaper and a lot less work also. Just saying. Just my opinion. It's your boat.
sounds more like he wants to cap up the water and TURN UP THE VOLUME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by stlliberator
Well if this new law goes into effect in missoui looks like were gunna need mufflers at lake of the ozarks..but on other lakes I run there is no sound restriction. So my question is, since Im gunna have to buy slip on mufflers anyway, how can I make my tails dry on my boat? I have emi thunders. I love the sound of dry tails over wet anyday..so I might as well go for it..I know Ill have to have someone weld extentions on my tails now to extended them through the transom..but what about the water?
you can either send them back to eddie and have them make them dry or find the inner and outer size pipes and have your local welder extend them but they will need to be cooled going through the transom..you will also need to have a fitting or a npt bung welded on the outer pipe on the inside of the boat that will go to a through hull fitting to dump the water through the transom..some guys will drill a hole and and weld a 90* pipe on the inner pipe that the water will go through instead of going through the transom with a hose and the inner npt bung.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by picklenjim
You dont wanna do that. All "DRY" tailpipes mean is that they are water jacketed all the way to the tip. Meaning the water never mixes with the exhaust gas. But, it does not mean the pipe assembly is run "dry". Just like on a manifold, where the water runs thru the manifold, but not into the exhaust runners. Same principle for the dry tails.

If you have a good welder who is good with stainless, they should be able to do it. Like Mr. Fixxall says, you can either weld bungs to the tails and dump the water from them overboard with a thru hull dump. You would need to mount the bung close as possible to the inside of the transom. Or, you can just let the water dump at the very end of the tails.

You would need a length of 4" stainless pipe, and 3.5" pipe. You would cut a little bit of the 4" pipe you have on your existing risers back far enough to gain access to weld your new 3.5" pipe on to the old 3.5" pipe. Once that is welded up, you can slip the 4" pipe over it, and then weld the two 4" pipes together. At the end of the tails, you will need to make little 1/4" spacers that you can tack weld in. It will keep the 3.5" pipe centered within the 4" pipe. Once the front side is all welded up, you can then tack weld the exit side up. You can make the little spacers at the 12,3,6, and 9 oclock postions. Water will exit the exhaust around those little spacers.

Im sure that sounds confusing as hell, but its really a simple idea once you get the picture. Im prob just explaining it like crap.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics would be helpfull..lol just saying..im gunna call emi tommorrow and see how much it would be to convert my tails..if I gotta run mufflers at loto..then I might as well be loud when I can..