Notices

Dry Sump Upgrade

Old 03-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dry Sump Upgrade

I recently came into a dry sump oil system for my BBC, and I'd like to mount on my engine.

I am running a Bravo Drive, where do they put them?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Registered

What components do you have? The type of drive does not matter.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Registered

It's a Peterson pump, just curious as to where you mount it from, we'll make the brackets if need be.

Is it mounted off the sea water pump (or above it)? Driven off the crank pulley? Where is it mounted on the motor?
Old 03-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A conversion to a dry sump oil system is a big project for a small improvement in performance or reliability in a non-race application. This should give you an idea of the scope.

http://www.stockcarracing.com/techar...tem/index.html
Old 03-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Registered

I'm going to a 588ci BBC making an easy 700HP, I want the oil temperatures under control, and easily kept under control.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Registered

A proper dry sump system requires a specific oil pan, a large oil tank, and an external pump. It sounds like what you have is just the pump. The oil temperature is controlled by the oil cooler size, and a remote oil thermostat. It sounds like you are mixing some information up. A dry sump oil system is beneficial for high rpm applications, engines that need extra oil flow control such as spray bars for valve spring cooling, and high output engines. The engine you describe would be better served with a high quality wet sump oil pump, a 12 quart pan, a 3X18 oil cooler, and a filter mount with a built in oil thermostat. These parts still are not as expensive as a correct dry sump oil system. Good Luck.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Registered

Found it from Mercury Racing.

Thanks though, guys.

Keep in mind guys, this is a short deck block, single Holley Carb, and no induction system, making 700-740HP and matching torque.

I went with the Dry-Sump system as its the better of the two systems available. I have already ordered my pump/hoses/fittings and am awaiting the matching oil pan.

I'm not sure on Mercury's current design/placement (though I imagine it's how in the end I will mount it), so I am going to dress the motor in my usual fashion and from there design/fab my own placement or go with Mercury's.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:51 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did this system work for you? We are looking into using dry sump systems on our larger CI engines to control oil leak issues caused by crankcase pressure when running higher RPM's. Aviaid oil systems has a marine set up that is in the 3K range and considering all the benefits with no downfalls I consider it a small price to pay.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by brian41
How did this system work for you? We are looking into using dry sump systems on our larger CI engines to control oil leak issues caused by crankcase pressure when running higher RPM's. Aviaid oil systems has a marine set up that is in the 3K range and considering all the benefits with no downfalls I consider it a small price to pay.
Hey Brian, have you tried running a vacuum pump on any of them? The new design Moroso 3 vane seems to be holding up really well and does a great job controlling the oil, especially when used with a good pan. It's not uncommon to see a 10-20hp increase with it.

On a side note, I'm moving to a new shop next month and want to pick your brain a bit about dyno cell design. You did an excellent job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.