Water-in-the-oil-part-trois >

Water-in-the-oil-part-trois

Notices

Water-in-the-oil-part-trois

Old 04-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water-in-the-oil-part-trois

I promise I'll stop the french lesson....

As some of you have commented through my trail and tribulations linked below, I thought I diagnosed the water in my oil problem to my manifolds. Well I have since changed the oil two times and took the Formula off the lift to bring it back home on the trailer to work on. She fired right up and I took her for about a 20 minute ride at various speeds, then stopped and checked the oil. It was perfectly clean. Fired her back up and went for another ride. This time I was getting a pretty substancial stammer and/or miss. When I'd goose the throttle it would run real rough and then clear out and pull hard. I decided I'd better head up the creek to the ramp. The whole way, at around 1000 RPM the engine was just not happy. Just seemed to have an intermittent miss. Got her back on the trailer and came home.

Once back at the house I checked the oil again and it was still golden and new. No sign at all of milkshake. So I popped the engine cover and started at the manifolds and risers. Pulled both risers first and they seemed in terrific shape. No real sign of bad corrosion. In fact everything looks fairly new. Also noted that the risers aren't cast iron but stainless steel. I got one manifold off and will mess arund with the other tomorrow.

So now I'm really at a quandary....

A) I no longer seem to be getting much in the way of water in the oil (although I haven't really don't anything that would have stopped a problem)

B) The motor wants to buck and surge, and doesn't want to run smoothly

C) The manifolds and risers seem fine

I'm gonna change the plugs, cap, rotor, and wires since I have everything apart and hope that cures the rough-running gremilins. I think I'll do a compression check as well. I'm almost tempted to go ahead and reinstall the manifolds and risers new new gaskets and hold off on the install of the 496 units I bought until next time.

Any other things I should check? I'm getting rotator Cuff surgery in a couple weeks and I won't be able to do any of this work. I wanna get the boat in operable condition before that happens.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...water-oil.html

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...part-deux.html
Old 04-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Registered

The first manifold:

The risers:

Old 04-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Registered

Fuel preasure low also checked for loose ground
Old 04-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Registered

Reinstalled the manifolds and risers with new gaskets. Also replaced the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Plugs were decent but the rest were TRASHED. The cap and rotor were so bad I'm amazed the damn thing even ran.

Finished up today and splashed her. Ran like a new boat. Plentyt of power, no stumble, and now with 3.4 running hours on the last oil change I don't see any milkshake nor increase in level on the dipstick. Now I have no idea how much water it takes to milkshake the oil like it was, and maybe there's still something wrong but it leaks VERY slowly. Who knows. I am still l have no idea what happened and I'm still playing it cautious and checking the oil several times an outing, but for the moment I'm happy.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Registered

Just keep an eye on maybe all is well good luck
Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered

Default water in oil

Take off your oil cooler and do a leak down pressure check. If there is a leak the water can sometimes overcome the oil pressure and leak in. It is usually a very small leak. You may even notice a slight loss of oil that you would contribute to consumption.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Registered

Didnt read other threads but where you live has it been really cold or rainy?
It might simply have been a lot of condensation. I pulled my valve covers 3 weeks a go and it looked like some puked milkshake everywhere. Just cold FL+humidity. I mean it was bad.
Give it a thought.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Registered

Don't know if you have solved this issue or not yet. I only have one thing to consider. Is your intake manifold iron or aluminum? I ask because the same issue arose for me as well. This happened to me after a fresh rebuild. I wasn't sure what went wrong, and was at wits end. This motor was previously used in salt water as well. After a few hours on the fresh motor, oil began to milkshake. Not happy. Money was tight at the time of rebuild, and I had re-used the original iron intake manifold. What I ended up finding was that a pinhole had developed on the underside of the intake manifold, directly below the T-stat location, which pissed water right into the lifter galley. Just something else to consider if your intake is iron. Good Luck