Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Flywheel/crankshaft spacer for Steel motor mounts? >

Flywheel/crankshaft spacer for Steel motor mounts?

Notices

Flywheel/crankshaft spacer for Steel motor mounts?

Old 04-29-2011, 05:42 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by picklenjim
I wouldn't even consider it unless your planning on running 800+ HP. For every one boat you see set up like that there are thousands that aren't. If Mercury thought it was necessary they would have made the bellhousing to accommodate a plate between there. This is totally an aftermarket high performance alteration. In your case it is unneeded.
mercury does make the bellhousing like that .if you remember his power is out of a cruiser and they never had rear mounts .and this is not an aftermarket alteration .i had a formula 302 same set up a 357 formula same set up and my cig also.any good boat builder would use them as it stiffens the rear of the boat .ck mercury parts on line bellhousings are avail for with and without rear mounts only diff is the bell is cut down the thickness of the plate .my opinion you have the plates they were put there for a reason and were always there why not use them ???
Old 04-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

like smokin gun is saying its a much better set-up. alot tougher and when just using the rear mounts on the transom assembly those bellhousings have been known to break when running hard in the rough stuff. i dunno about you guys but when it starts kicking up 3-4's is when i really love to lay the hammer down.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smokin' gun
mercury does make the bellhousing like that . ck mercury parts on line bellhousings are avail for with and without rear mounts only diff is the bell is cut down the thickness of the plate.
Could you provide a link to these bellhousings? Thanks
Old 04-29-2011, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default bellhousings

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Could you provide a link to these bellhousings? Thanks
here ya go. right from bams website .also ive had 2 sets i sold on here to members and mine were for running the rear plate they arent that uncommen

Ref Part Num
Click for photo
(if available) Description Superceded
From Notes Factory
List Price Online
Order Price Quan
Used My
Order
Quan
1 95165 FLYWHEEL HOUSING (W/O REAR PLATE MOUNT) This Part is No Longer Available $686.25 $604.87 1
1 98096T FLYWHEEL HOUSING (W/REAR PLATE MOUNT) 98096 $1,040.68 $896.33

i dont know how to post the whole page but ck bams website
Old 04-30-2011, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree, rear plate mount is a stronger setup. However, I really never heard of anyone breaking the factory tailstock/inner transom mount setup, but I am sure it has happened.

If you decide to go with the factory TRS tailstock mount setup, I do have a pair of TRS tailstocks I'd let go cheap. Might have the bolts and washers for them too. My Formula had that setup in back, offshore plate in front. No issues.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry, just noticed you have the trs tailstocks it sounds like. Only issue i see, is whether or not your bellhousings have been machined. If they havent been cut, your fine to use the TRS tailstock ear mounts. If the plates have been cut, you will need to use the rear plate style mount.

Are the Aluminum angle iron brackets still bolted to the stringers, and if they are, are the holes already in them?
Old 04-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah the aluminum mounts are already in the stringers with holes cut in them...
Im kinda retarded because I just realized the bellhousings that came with my trannies (not from the cruiser) are the correct ones and the flange is 1/4 inch thinner! Woohoo!
So Im good to go to use these mounts!

Both steel mounts and the TRS tail shaft mount it is...