Notices

starter troubles

Old 05-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter troubles

My 454 mag is giving me some starting troubles. It acts like the battery is low on voltage. I can hear the starter click to engage the flywheel but it doesnt seem to have enough power to turn the motor over. I have charged the battery it still does it. Every fifth try or so it will turn the motor over. Tomorrow Im going to check for any loose or corroded connections. Could something else be causing this? Like a tired starter motor. I already installed a new starter relay.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Time for a new starter. try this company. www.dbelectrical.com
Old 05-07-2011, 01:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by blaquebaja
Time for a new starter. try this company. www.dbelectrical.com
+1 $45 starter, $75 alternator
Old 05-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Registered

checked and cleaned all connections no change. Do you guys know where the starters from db electrical are made? Is the quality as good as a mercruiser starter?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are concerned with keeping it Mercruiser you can rebuild it yourself. The whole process is in the shop manual. But for $45 I'd take them up on their guarantee. New part. You could still reman the old one(s) when it's convenient to you.

BTW did you get the battery load tested the real way. If the load test result is bad you could be barking up the wrong tree.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Registered

didnt get the battery load tested. not sure where to get it done right. Both of my batteries are Interstates bought within the last 6 months. Did the same thing with the old batteries. I thought new batteries might solve the problem. Going to buy a volt meter tomorrow and double check my electrical circuits. I dont mind paying for a new starter. Trying to remove the old one and putting a new one in is the part Im not looking forward to. If im going to go through all that effort I want to put a good piece in.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Registered

"I dont mind paying for a new starter. Trying to remove the old one and putting a new one in is the part Im not looking forward to. If im going to go through all that effort I want to put a good piece in."

The dbelectrical stuff is good, but if your that worried about it...pay the $200 from BAM Marine.

Last edited by tinman565; 05-07-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Registered

$200, Delco high torque starter from Diamond performance. Removed the starter this morning. Removing the actual starter isnt bad, it is tearing apart half the interior of the boat to get to it. I dont want to do it again anytime soon. Genuine Delco part should last about 16 years like the original. Thanks for all the help guys