Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
twin outboard battery wiring diagram >

twin outboard battery wiring diagram

Notices

twin outboard battery wiring diagram

Old 05-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fullauto, I'd love to get the wiring diag you're using if you have it available.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mlb75
DynoJet, thanks for the feedback but couple questions. How does the stereo bank get charged? Also the motor portion is a little sketchy it appears the batteries are attached to the output and position 2 of the left switch and the output and position one of the right switch. Then it looks like port motor is connected to position one of the left switch and the strbd motor is connected to position 2 of the right switch. That doesn't make any sense to me...
I guess I should have made a new drawing. LOL. To charge the house batteries, you would need to have an ACR on each wire coming from the alternator/charging system that normally goes to the battery. The ACR allows the engine batt to get charged first, then the house once the engine batt is fully charged. This also isolates the engine battery from the house battery if both engines are charging the house batts at one time.

Each engine has its own switch, where both batteries are connected. On the back of the switch you have batt 1 and batt 2 inputs, then Output to the engine. This is so you can turn the batts off to that motor, run the motor off batt 1, batt 2 or both at the same time (parallel the batts to the engine).

Originally Posted by mlb75
To me if you were to use two switches then the port motor would be connected to the output of the left switch a battery would be connected to position 1 and position 2 would be tied to position two of the right switch. Then the strbd motor would be connected to the output of the right switch and another battery would go to position 1.

Assuming that is correct and you could run the boat with both switches in the 1+2 position then I don't see a reason you couldn't just use a single switch with the output connected to both motors and a single battery on position one and a bank of 2 or more batteries in parallel connected to position 2. Is there a reason I can't do it that way? The only thing I can think of is that the alternators may not like working together.

Thanks
You don't want to have both charging systems tied together while they are charging. If you run either (or both) batt switches on BOTH, then you've effectively tied the two charging systems together...OB's don't like that.