Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    37

    Adding trim tabs?

    Gentlemen,

    Ive got a 23' Wellcraft Eclipse and I was thinking about adding a set of trim tabs. The boat only does 55 so I dont need an expensive set of k-planes. The boat tends to come off of a wave and hit the left side pretty hard, scaring the hell out of my girlfriend, I think its pretty funny but she doesnt appreciate it very much haha. Sometimes the bay gets a little rough so the tabs could help a little.

    So I was looking into some trim tabs. Any ideas on what sizes I would need?

    Thanks for any help guys

  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    636
    Probably small bennetts will work. Doubt it will fix the slamming issue tho. They work if you have trouble staying on plane at low speeds or need to balance boat because of bad weight distribution. Also if you are in decent seas and need to keep nose down and be able to trim for rpm. Other than that all they do is slow you down(;

  3. #3
    Platinum Member Platinum Member Too Stroked's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Progression 22 w/ Diamond Marine Mercury 2.5 / 200
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,365
    A 23' Wellcraft is a fairly heavy boat. I'd recommend at least a 12" x 12" tab - or close to it. If you're going to install them yourself, Lencos are probably the easiest to install with Boat Leveler and Bennett tabs next on the list.

    As for how (and where) to mount them, that's a whole different story with lots of things to consider and worry about. Do a little searching in these forums and you'll find plenty of posts with that information. The instructions are generally a pretty good guide too. If you've never done any marine installation work though, I'd suggest professional help. You can really mess up a boat with a few simple mistakes.

    One last thought. You noted that the boat lands pretty hard on the port side. I'm assuming it takes off level though. That's a sign of a problem. If you add tabs and try to correct it, all you're going to do is make it lean to starboard while running so it lands level. That's not good.

  4. #4
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    743
    the electratabs work well , less weight and work well for small boat. maybe do not trim that high and you will cut the wave and not hit it. more bow in the water

  5. #5
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Stroked View Post
    A 23' Wellcraft is a fairly heavy boat. I'd recommend at least a 12" x 12" tab - or close to it. If you're going to install them yourself, Lencos are probably the easiest to install with Boat Leveler and Bennett tabs next on the list.

    As for how (and where) to mount them, that's a whole different story with lots of things to consider and worry about. Do a little searching in these forums and you'll find plenty of posts with that information. The instructions are generally a pretty good guide too. If you've never done any marine installation work though, I'd suggest professional help. You can really mess up a boat with a few simple mistakes.

    One last thought. You noted that the boat lands pretty hard on the port side. I'm assuming it takes off level though. That's a sign of a problem. If you add tabs and try to correct it, all you're going to do is make it lean to starboard while running so it lands level. That's not good.
    What do you think the problem could be then? Also what would be wrong with using the tabs to level it out?

  6. #6
    Gold Member Gold Member Dave M's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2006 30 Superboat
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    LaPlata, MD, USA
    Posts
    4,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse232 View Post
    What do you think the problem could be then? Also what would be wrong with using the tabs to level it out?
    I think what you are experiencing is pretty normal for a boat with a RH prop. When coming off a wave and a lot of the hull is out of the water the prop torque rolls the boat to the left.

    I think tabs will help. They will not slow you down when they are fully retracted.

  7. #7
    Registered
    My Boats:
    42' Sundancer from 2004 formerly known as Big azz cruiser from 2004. Still looking for the right new 38-42 ft. v-bottom!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Denmark and hopefully some place nice
    Posts
    1,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse232 View Post
    What do you think the problem could be then? Also what would be wrong with using the tabs to level it out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I think what you are experiencing is pretty normal for a boat with a RH prop. When coming off a wave and a lot of the hull is out of the water the prop torque rolls the boat to the left.

    I think tabs will help. They will not slow you down when they are fully retracted.
    Another thing to look for is balance. Do you have an extra batt. in the port side, gear, achor ect. You can try to move things around and see if that helps too. But yes, prop torque plays in too.

    Just curious. What prop are you running?

  8. #8
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    37
    Ok thats sounds a little better, thats what I was thinking it was. My uncle's boat used to do the same thing and the second he put the left tab down he was fine. So i figured this was pretty much the same scenario.

    I was just wondering what size trim tabs I would need for the boat?

  9. #9
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by A.O. Razor View Post
    Another thing to look for is balance. Do you have an extra batt. in the port side, gear, achor ect. You can try to move things around and see if that helps too. But yes, prop torque plays in too.

    Just curious. What prop are you running?
    Actually now that you mention it, I do have an extra battery on the left side of the boat. All of the gear and anchors are right in the middle of the cabin. Can one battery make that much of a difference?

    Also the prop is a Mirage Plus 21p

  10. #10
    Registered
    My Boats:
    42' Sundancer from 2004 formerly known as Big azz cruiser from 2004. Still looking for the right new 38-42 ft. v-bottom!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Denmark and hopefully some place nice
    Posts
    1,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse232 View Post
    Actually now that you mention it, I do have an extra battery on the left side of the boat. All of the gear and anchors are right in the middle of the cabin. Can one battery make that much of a difference?

    Also the prop is a Mirage Plus 21p
    An easy way to find out, is to put in a counter weight that weights the same as the batt. I've used large gas cans ect. with water and barbell weights in the past. Just strap them down if possible though, or move your gear to starboard. You can also just try and put your gf in the starboard backseat and see if that makes a diff.

    It might just be the prop torque as Dave M suggested, but sometimes small things make a big diff.

    The reason why I asked to your prop was simply because, if you run a large 4 or 5 blade prop, that can sometimes worsen prop torque. The M+ should be fine thou. If anyone you boat with, has a LaserII you can borrow, it's always worth a try, since it is smaller in diameter, but it might be too small.
    My point is. Get the basic setup right, before spending any money. I general, tabs on a 23' is worth having IMO.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertisers


OSO Directory
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Original Poster In Postbit provided by Original Poster In Postbit v1.0.0 (Free) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.