Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Horrible trailer weekend....anyone have any good trailer knowledge? >

Horrible trailer weekend....anyone have any good trailer knowledge?

Notices

Horrible trailer weekend....anyone have any good trailer knowledge?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FuelinAround
Like I said none of the tires were over a year old and maybe 5-700 miles on them. They are load rated c which is what was on there when I bought it. 205/75/14's.
Tires and wheels to small. You could go to a 15' load range D or E would be better.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one thing noone mentioned is speed, even with marginal tires I have towed plenty just at a reduced speed,I never have felt the need to tow at 70-80mph, 55-60 is plenty for me no matter how big or powerful my truck is.
The higher your speed the more heat buildup in the tires and bearings..
Old 06-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by high bid
This is JMO. I run 14" Carlise tires and have done so across the country from NH to FL and back to Havasu in 120* temps. Couple of thing to make certain before any long trip....lift the axle and check the bearings for play and then grease, check the brakes for them dragging, make 100% sure the tires are at max psi. One other thing to possibly consider is the axle alignment making sure they are square to the trailer frame. If any of these items isn't performing as it should then added heat is generated and it will cause failure.

I tend to disagree w/having to change out wheels/tires for your 31' boat. I don't have tire problems but have lost my fair share of wheel bearings. Again, JMO good luck.
I had the trailer greased and all bearings checked right before we left. Everything was working fine. Also stopped and checked the tires and pressure on the way down. How exactly do you know if there are axle problems/check alignment? Also to the other post.....I in no way shape or form have the ability to run 50 or 60 mph. I will gladly spend the extra dough to be able to tow at 70-75.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Here you go
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o40059-en.html
Old 06-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Registered

We had a caliper lock up on the way down..... Was hard as heck to turn so I took it off and it began to free up..... Could heat cause this or is it a bad setup?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a caliper lock up on the way down..... Was hard as heck to turn so I took it off and it began to free up..... Could heat cause this or is it a bad setup?
Loosen the 5/16th bleader screw on the backside and many times this will allow the caliper to release....instead of removing the whole thing. You can also spray some lube on the cyclinder and this should help it slide and hopefully release easier. You can easily google trailer axle alignment for solutions but my guess this isn't your issue. Another thing check the inside of the fender and make sure the tire isn't or hasn't been rubbing; as the springs settle the tire gets closer to the inside of the fender. Just ideas and things to ck. $hit like this drives me crazy and is frustrating as he!!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When I put new axels on my trailer I had to custom make the saddle that I used. I took the trailer to an allignment shop and the guy checked it for me. I have no idea what he checked and my trailer was a dual axel, but I trust this guy to do all my cars/trucks. I am running a dual axel trailer on my Formula 302 and it towed up to Maine last fall no problem.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Registered

Ok new information...... I scaled my boat this weekend... Boat and trailer came in at 10,340 lbs.... My trailers axles are rated for 10,500 is this ok? Also my current tires are C rated and rated for 10,560 lbs which means they are running at 98% capacity all the time. I also found out via Goodyears website that if you are running an ST tire (which marathon is) and running anywhere between 61 and 76 mph you should inflate the tire 10 PSI higher than the sidewall rating. I was hoping I ccould maybe find some load d or e 14inch tires so I don't have to buy all new set of wheels and tires but I have yet to find anything. Seems all 15in tires go upto D and to get to a load E tire I need a 16inch tire.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hancock R08 8ply
are D rates in the 14" size
Look for info on the Toyota motorhome forums,
it also came with 14" tires and many of the owners have the same
problem of finding 14" tires with a high enough rating for their motorhomes.
Here is one of the tires:
http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=RA08
http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=RA08
Old 06-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Ok new information...... I scaled my boat this weekend... Boat and trailer came in at 10,340 lbs.... My trailers axles are rated for 10,500 is this ok? Also my current tires are C rated and rated for 10,560 lbs which means they are running at 98% capacity all the time. I also found out via Goodyears website that if you are running an ST tire (which marathon is) and running anywhere between 61 and 76 mph you should inflate the tire 10 PSI higher than the sidewall rating. I was hoping I ccould maybe find some load d or e 14inch tires so I don't have to buy all new set of wheels and tires but I have yet to find anything. Seems all 15in tires go upto D and to get to a load E tire I need a 16inch tire.
Man, that's awful close to the limit - even though the limit has a factor of safety built in. If it was me, I'd upsize to get the greater capacity. Then again, I'm running 15" tires for a boat and trailer combination that's less than 4,000 pounds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.