Notices

Where To Install K-planes

Old 06-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
IMO, thats too high on the transom. At speed they might not even reach the waterline. There's 2 schools of thought on wether to mount them at the hull angle or flat. Again this is only my opinion but I would mount them flat with the water line 1/2"-3/4" above the skeg at the upper end of the old tab location. I tried both on my Scarab way back and the flat mount was more stable while running straight. With the angled mounting if you lowered one tab more than the other it wanted to steer you in the oposite direction. At speed it was pretty hairy although I agree that at speed you should be at zero tab or less. Never the less it happened. Just my 2cts. By the way, 30' 1978 Scarab did 84mph before I parted it out and bought the Cat which does 115-120 mph and still has a litle more to go.

I would agree. My velocity and both Fountains were mounted flat. Velocity did a lot of them flat, all race their boats were flat, and most handled better that way. Some of the smaller ones were down close to the pad, allowed for more surface contact. Fountain does all of them flat, at least for the last decade or so. Must be something to it!

Might want to figure out just where the boat runs vs that pad bottom and let that be your guide on location.

My niclkles worth, three boats, 80's, 90's and just a tick shy of 100. Wouldn't have them any other way.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you every for your help...Wally im in the same boat no set date for completion on mine either
Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fire Boat Pilot that is a good point... And you made a lot of cents... where the old tabs where is the better location.. I dont mind giving up 2-3 mph for safty... Any body else of thoughs about mounting them flat or angled with the hull
Old 06-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

Well heres my train of thought on this:
The boats that i have seen that do have the tabs mounted flat in relation to the water line usually have the longer 380 tabs. They can afford to have it done this way as theres more tab to use and drive down deeper into the water. When used on a regular pleasure boat, mounting the shorter 280's, you wont get as much of an effect as less of the tab will actually be in the water.
Actually what i would do if i was to re-mount mine is wait till you have the drive in place....then turn the drive to the extreme left...move it up and down and mount the tab flat in relation to the waterline and as close to the drive and as low to the bottom vee of the boat as possible without anything interfeering...then do the same on the other side. Probably be a two person job as one moves the drive around and the other moves the tab inplace...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!