Notices

crankcase pres,

Old 06-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crankcase pres,

OK! how long to seat rings on new motor. Hyd, roller, fully forged bottom, AFR heads, Cam from Bob at RM builders, 9.75 CR. ring gap .024 top and second, air gap manifold, carb from pro systems, and HEI system from DUI.

standard rotation motor dyno was 551hp and 576ft torque.

now the motors had Brad Penn 20w Break in oil in them first 2 hours then changed to 20w50 Brad Penn. the motor on the Reverse rotation is leaking out rear main and slinging it on the flywheel freaking mess. but i dont have any evacuation of gases except breathers on valve covers WITH baffles in covers.

standerd motor is not leaking anything on last 2 hours on lake, but did on first 2
hours about half quart. this motor has NO BAFFLES in covers and was spun on dyno for a few hours.

should I put breathers on both sides of covers and run them to the flame aresters and put conventional oil in. or install PCVs.

does the lines that normally run to the flame aresters pull that much pres / vacume

yes the reverse motor has a uni directional rear main seal in it that was offset when installed. i figure someone will ask. haha

I am sure this just need to seat rings and vent crank pres....any help
Old 06-28-2011, 05:41 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the front and rear crank seals should not leak and are really not affected by crank case pressure since they are out past the bearing. They are however affected by oil pressure but unless for some reason your oil pressure is over 100 lbs I doubt it would push past the seal. IMO you need to replace that seal, Sorry! Valve cover breathers should be enough to evecuate crank case pressure especially after break in time which by the way is usually done on a dyno machine if available where leaks and such are found and fixed easily before engine installation. Yes to a breather in each cover, no to pvc valves and no to the recirculation back thru the engine. You might need a taller tube for the breather to get it a little higher but I wouldn't think so on your engine package. Sometimes on higher reving engines the oil is pushed up thru the breathers in a mist form like mine at 6000rpm over an extended run in which case a puke tank is used to raise the breathers. Why the first seal stopped leaking is a mystery but I would leep an eye on it.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I was hoping not to be the seal
Old 06-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have changed everything I have over to PCV systems, much cleaner...factory merc HP500 came with them and all new ones do as well...cuts down on fumes and keeps top of engine much cleaner, somebody did something wrong on tne crank seals to be leaking like they are now...sorry there