Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Where's a how to on back flushing cooling system? >

Where's a how to on back flushing cooling system?

Notices

Where's a how to on back flushing cooling system?

Old 07-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Where's a how to on back flushing cooling system?

There are some great how to on here but I have not been able to locate one that teaches me how to back flush my 454. Can anyone assist with this? One with pics would be great. Need something to keep me busy this weekend.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By backflush, do you mean flushing to clean out impeller pieces? If so It ain't too bad. I remove the cooling hose on the discharge side of the seapump, then take the hose off at the thermostat (both sides) and then remove the hose at the oil.cooler. take a hose and run water through them until all the old pieces of rubber come out and your done. The boat is still getting the motors put back in, or I would take some pictures for ya. If have any more questions let me know.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Registered

I think I might have some sand or thermostat issues....thought I might have something jammed up somewhere...replaced the impeller kit jut a few weeks ago
Old 07-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FuelinAround
I think I might have some sand or thermostat issues....thought I might have something jammed up somewhere...replaced the impeller kit jut a few weeks ago
You might, but if you didn't flush out the cooling hoses when you changed out the impeller, you probably have rubber pieces still in there causing a flow.restriction. you might have sand clogging the small tubes in the cooler as well.

Forgot to ask what is the temperature doing that makes you think there is a problem? Engine temp erratic? Steam in exhaust?

Last edited by rumrunner29; 07-12-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Registered

Last weekend on a 6 mile run it shot up to 180 as usual then got to 200 and was steaming heavy. I stopped and reved it a few times and the temp began to lower but while running and under load the temp was climbing unto 200. We got back and trailered as quickly as possible without trying to damage anything and keeping it as close to 180 as possible
Old 07-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Registered

Sounds familiar, I changed an impeller once and took the boat for a ride. Was ok for a bit, then the temp would rapidly shoot up to 180-190 and then drop to 150. It was steaming bad at idle. Took it home and took all the hoses off and found rubber everywhere. Worst part was that the new impeller was damaged due to the flow restriction, so I had to change it out again. Make sure your impeller housing is not damaged, this could cause the pump to perform poorly as well (even if the impeller still looks good).
Old 07-13-2011, 07:37 AM
Registered

So you completely tak the hoses out of the boat or just disconnect and run water through them in the bilge? Does it matter if it's an open hose or should I have a sprayer on it?
Old 07-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Registered

It is best to disconnect one end and have it attached to your coolers to make sure you get all the debris out and have a nozzle on the hose to add pressure, had to replace 2 thermostats las year cause sand kept gettin into them. Oh the joys of running in the Ohio River

Last edited by fountainfevr; 07-13-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Registered

So your telling me to disconnect the right side thermostat hose and run water through it with a hose and sprayer while leaving it hooked into the oil cooler.... Then disconnect the left side and flush back down to the pump with it disconnected from the back of the pump?
Old 07-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Registered

Im just going to start sprayin the **** out of every hose I guess lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.