Notices

Need help with my engine

Old 08-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with my engine

Hi I have a wellcraft with a 5.7. That my friend and I rebuild we din't know to much about doing this I took the head and the crank shaft to the machine shop and they rectifid the crank shaft and give me a new set of bearigs and they did a valve job on the head. Anyway we put new rings and a lot of parts on there. When we start the engine it run perfect then I when to the lake and it get a little bit hot so I took it to the house then I start the engine with the water hose on and got inside the house and the engine turn off and I din't notice. When I went back and try to starter it din't want to turn over so I took the spark plug off and 4 of the piston was fulk of water so the oil has water in it. I change the oil but still has some water in it and is geting hot what cold be the problem a bad manifold or a head gasket. Can someone help me out whith this any help will be apreciate. Thanks
Old 08-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

If you have water in the oil and water in #4, most likely you have a bad head gasket. If you had water in #4, depending on how much, you may have hydraulically locked the motor which means you need to do a complete tear down and check the piston, connecting rods and bearings.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Registered

What I mean is that four of the piston was full of water so one side of the engine. When i took the sp&rk plugs out all the water came out the engine run perfect the problem is that water on the oil. I dont know is the water when inside cause it was off and the water hose was still on or is because I have a bad manifold or I tight the head wrong and the gasket got mess up
Old 08-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Registered

After I took the spark plugs out and take all that water out it dint put any more water inside the cylinder so I dont know what was the problem with this
Old 09-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would have the block deck checked along with the heads for warpage, also have the heads pressure tested for cracks. sounds like this motor got real hot at one time
Old 09-03-2011, 12:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

may have a cracked exhaust manifold...how did you hook the hose up? if it was hooked up directly to the cooling system and when the engine died it could have forced water through the system and when it hit the exhaust it could have brained back into the cylinders it the nose of the boat was not jacked up..did you put sealer on the head bolts when you installed the heads?
Old 09-04-2011, 12:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you torque the heads in sequence? You start out with half torque specs go through the sequence and on the second time torque them again in the same sequence at full manufactures specs. If you torqued the heads wrong that would account for all the water in side the motor. This is really criticle.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Registered

I would check the manifold first.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:59 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

This was water on 4 cyc on one bank / side?
Pull your exhaust riser off and then look down the exhaust manifold if you have rust and water down or any wet conditions inside of that exhaust area - U have your answer. Leaking riser gasket, internal cracked exhaust manifold, or some form of water reversion. Also could be an intake manifold gasket problem causing the leak or even a cracked intake manifold. Hows your flapper valves especially if this is thru the prop exhaust. Also when you turned off your motor in the water did it diesel / have run on after the key was turned off ?

Last edited by BUP; 09-05-2011 at 12:29 PM.